All we are hearing at the moment is news of Coronavirus, people stockpiling, shelves in supermarkets being bare and the potential of enforced isolation worldwide. But the big question for me is of course how to keep my family safe. Also, how do I feed my family, what Store Cupboard Essentials will I need in the event of a shortage?
This List Is My Everyday Shopping List
Not one I save for emergency situations or shortages, it’s for everyday life. However, thus resulting in me not feeling panicked by shortages. Therefore I felt sharing it may be of some use to stop the panic and help you be prepared for self isolation during this coronavirus outbreak. But also you will find a list of recipe suggestions further down the page to cook with your store cupboard essentials.
I’m not talking about stockpiling ready meals and soup, or indeed stockpiling anything. Moreover, having the essentials in your food cupboard to be able to cook family meals.
Being a mum who cooks from scratch, I am confident that with with a selection of store cupboard essentials I can create a wealth of home made family meals.
Living out in the country means sometimes getting snowed in, so it’s always better to be prepared. Additionally using base ingredients from scratch makes your family meal budget go much further.
Store Cupboard Essentials To Buy.
I have also included a few alternatives, for in the unlikely event, of you not being able to get hold of a staple item.
- Tinned tomatoes and passata.
- Flour, self raising and plain.
- Instant yeast
- Sugar (alternative sweetener)
- Cheese (Parmesan is great for cooking or mozzarella as great alternatives to cheddar or packet cheese sauce)
- Fresh fruit and veg (Frozen or tinned fruit and veg as an alternative)
- Mince, chicken, beef and pork, buy fresh and freeze ( If not buy frozen)
- Tinned Tuna
- Herbs, spices and garlic ( If you have a selection you can make almost anything)
- Butter for cooking
- Dry noodles
- Mushroom soup ( This is great for making sauces if all else fails)
- Milk (Long life as an alternative, not ideal but hey)
- Eggs (Powdered egg as an alternative )
- Balsamic vinegar, Worcester sauce, white wine vinegar.
- Potatoes, onions, leeks
- Corned beef
- Dried Fruit
Recipes You Can Make If You Have The Right Store Cupboard Essentials.
If you have the right essentials available, you can indeed be prepared for food shortages should they occur. Essentially I am not a panic buyer.
Why I hear you ask? Because my cupboards are stocked and ready, full of essentials to cook family friendly meals any day of the week. As a result were prepared meaning it’s less tempting to opt for cooking ready meals.
- Chicken Curry
- Spaghetti Bolognese
- Port Meatballs.
- Chicken and veg one pot casserole
- Tuna Pasta Bake
- Chicken and leek pie
- Corned beef hash
- Chicken Leftover Pie
- Pulled Pork
- Beef Curry
- Shepherds Pie
So in the event of a zombie apocalypse you will be prepared, ( Have you seen I Am Legend? blooming amazing film I LOVE Will Smith) But also handy for when the car break’s down, deep snow, chicken pox and crazy situations like Corona Virus.
However also useful if you just want to make healthy family meals from scratch to save money. Yet also know exactly what your family are eating.