5 Hints and Tips For Visiting Stuttgart

During my recent trip to Stuttgart I really packed the activities in.  I was fortunate enough to see a little of what the region has to offer. As a result I have been able to compile a little list of recommendations of what to see and do in Stuttgart.

Stuttgart was somewhere I had never really considered visiting. However, now I have been I realise exactly what I have been missing out on all these years.

Germany has so much to offer families or couples wanting to get away, see a little history and culture. Or just chill and people watch..

Here are my top tips on what to do in Stuttgart. Great family activities in Stuttgart and Historical places of interest to get the best of the region.

Getting A Flight To Stuttgart

Flights to Stuttgart if planned in advance can be inexpensive. The airport is very efficient and fluid which makes passage through very easy. The rail service to get from the train station into the Stuttgart can be accessed directly from the station, which makes getting into the city easy, only taking 30 minutes. You need to change trains once, but it is simple and there are signs everywhere.

Please note, although you purchase a pass for the rail network, you must carry photo id at all times. If you are asked for your tickets on the train you will also be expected to provide id to validate your ticket.

Behind The Scenes At Stuttgart Airport, Germany

Where To Stay In Stuttgart

The Park Inn by Radisson is located a couple of minutes walk from Stuttgart City Centre train station. It is great value with clean lines and very modern decor. The beds are super comfy with great sized rooms for a city centre hotel. The Park Inn has a bar in the lobby, perfect for grabbing a glass of wine after a long day sightseeing. And the breakfast offering has lots of tasty options, cooked and continental.

5 Hints and Tips For Staying In Stuttgart

5 Hints and Tips For Staying In Stuttgart
5 Hints and Tips For Staying In Stuttgart

Getting Around Stuttgart On Public Transport

You can purchase a ticket for a tour bus to get your bearings and see a bit of the sights. However the rail networks once you get your head around the different levels is easy to use. Just give yourself an extra 10 minutes when planning trips to work out your route. During our tour, our guide told us public transport is always the best option in Stuttgart due to the roads being so busy.

You cannot visit such a wonderful region without grabbing a map and planning some of your routes by foot. The architecture in the region is beautiful and not to be missed.

What To Do In Stuttgart

Stuttgart has so many things to see and do, the problem will be choosing.

Whilst visiting I spent quite some times visiting Christmas Markets. And it you are visiting during the festive season then the markets really are a must.

If you love chocolate box towns then take a walk around Esslingen.

With its super friendly atmosphere and pastel coloured building that had me giddy with excitement at what may be around every corner. Esslingen has to be one of the most beautiful towns I have ever visited.

Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany

A Walk Around Esslingen

Check out the shops In Esslingen

Stuttgart has an incredible shopping area; it is vast and offers shops and boutiques to suit all budgets. I never had time to shop, but next time I visit I will make sure I earmark a day for shopping. Walking past all these gorgeous shops was nothing short of torture.

Visit the Mercedes Museum In Stuttgart

I am not a huge fan of cars, but you cant help but be won over by the sheer beauty of the Mercedes Museum. You really have to see it to believe it. The engineering of the building alone, and how it all flows into an ever-descending walkway with no stairs from the very top, to the ground floor. This is a great day out in Stuttgart for families.

Taking you thorough the history of the automobile, and allowing you to get a glimpse of some real vintage classics, right through to modern technology and racing cars. It was so interesting and so beautiful.

5 Hints and Tips For Staying In Stuttgart

5 Hints and Tips For Staying In Stuttgart

Visit Ludwigsburg Palace for a historical look at Stuttgart

The town is very interestingly built on a grid system and very easy to get around. There is a lot to see and do, and many places I would have loved to stop for a glass of wine or bite to eat. This is a great place to try out tradition Swabian food, which I have to say is very tasty indeed.

You cannot visit Ludwigsburg without visiting the palace. During the daylight hours the gardens are said to be breathtaking, with additions such as a fairy garden Making this the perfect place to visit in Stuttgart with kids. At the night that palace takes on a whole new dimension with its breathtaking lights casting shadows of history that make the place feel almost magical.

An Evening Walk Around Ludwigsberg Palace

Get The StuttCard For Attraction Discounts In Stuttgart

At a cost of 25€ without public transport or  €45 with public transport for 72 hours the StuttCard allows you to explore the Stuttgart Region all-inclusive!

The StuttCard offers the following discounts and services with 46 partners:

– Free admission to all museums and many leisure facilities – Attractive savings in selected theatres

– Attractive reductions at partner retail stores

– Welcome drinks / desserts in selected restaurants

for the duration of the period you have chosen – 24, 48 or 72 hours. All services can be used once only.

StuttCard PLUS:

If you have opted for the StuttCard PLUS, you have the additional advantage of free travel on the public transport network in the entire Stuttgart Region (standard class).

This is a fairly new concept in the region and with so many partners involved it proves great value.

Enjoy your trip and please note this is only the tips of the iceberg. There really is so much to see and do.

Pin for later

5 Great Tips For Visiting Stuttgart, Where To Stay, How to Get There, What To Visit and See and the StuttCard

MummyTravels

SaveSave

1. 20th January 2017 / 10:45 am

It looks like such a pretty place to visit. I don’t think I’d ever have thought to go but I’d love a good wander about the palace so much. It must have been such a lavish lifestyle for those that lived there!

22nd January 2017 / 7:15 pm

Me neither Tas and now I ant wait to go back, I loved it x

2. 20th January 2017 / 11:21 am

Looks a fantastic place to visit Sarah and somewhere that I wouldn’t really think to go to. Love the idea of the Stuttcard, and how accessible the public transport is x

22nd January 2017 / 7:25 pm

Tracey the transport is very efficient I wouldn’t even consider taking a car x

3. 20th January 2017 / 12:15 pm

I’ve never been to Stuttgart or even Germany but this looks great – really useful hints and tips here. I go away most years with a group of girlfriends, this will be going on the list! x

22nd January 2017 / 7:26 pm

Suzanne it is incredible I would book it its such a fab place to visit x

4. 24th January 2017 / 10:31 am

Stuttgart is one of my least favorite cities in Germany, but Esslingen is definitely a top favorite! I’d love to see the Christmas market in Stuttgart again though, as well as visit the Esslingen market! #CityTripping

25th January 2017 / 9:47 pm

Lolo I loved it for so many reason, but Esslingen is by far the prettiest city I have ever seen x

5. 24th January 2017 / 1:01 pm

The Stuttgart Christmas Markets are lovely aren’t they? I went to the city for work a few years back and was lucky to stay right next to the markets and I’ve been hooked on Christmas markets ever since #citytripping

25th January 2017 / 9:52 pm

Wow I bet that wa incredible I would have loved it, and the markets there are so amazing x

6. 24th January 2017 / 1:59 pm

This is really helpful, thanks! I loved reading about your winter adventures in Stuttgart, but I bet it’s just as magical at any time of the year. #ciyttripping

29th January 2017 / 9:38 pm

Ah thanks Nell, I just loved visiting it was amazing x

7. 24th January 2017 / 4:39 pm

I’d like the shops and old buildings, my husband would love the Mercedes museum, sounds like it would be perfect as a weekend away. #ciyttripping

29th January 2017 / 9:38 pm

Fiona it is so incredible, you would love it x

8. 24th January 2017 / 8:11 pm

I so want to go to Stuttgart now after reading all your posts! My husband is a real car buff so he would love the Mercedes museum too. #citytripping

29th January 2017 / 9:40 pm

Joanne it is just a wonderful place to visit x

9. 24th January 2017 / 8:21 pm

Even after living in Germany for a year (many moons ago) I couldn’t remember much about Stuttgart but there’s so much to see here. I really should get back to the country before I forget all my German and this is a tempting idea to do it. #citytripping

29th January 2017 / 9:42 pm

Cathy it is, there is so much for families x

10. 25th January 2017 / 6:09 am

Last week, I got a book about road trips in Germany and am surprised by everything I have learned about the country. That is why I got so excited to learn more about Stuttgart. There are places that are not on your radar but end up being a total surprise. I have not considered visiting Stuttgart but I am sure it is an awesome city. #citytripping

29th January 2017 / 9:44 pm

I know that is exactly how I felt about Germany, all a wonderful surprise x

11. 27th January 2017 / 1:00 pm

You have definitely made me want to visit Stuttgart. The palace looks incredible and all those pretty buildings PLUS there’s Mercedes museum – I really must go! Thanks for linking to #citytripping

29th January 2017 / 9:48 pm

Elizabeth it is so cool I just loved it x