Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany

Christmas Markets have become all the rage in the UK.

And with so many cities hosting wonderful festive Christmas markets, many of those are German markets promising all the atmosphere and festivities you would expect from a real German Christmas Market.

For many years I have been happy with that, it is wonderful to nip to a Christmas market on a Saturday. Enjoy mulled wine and festive music. And they are wonderful, but they are all missing one thing. They are not in Germany. Yes, that may be stating the blatantly obvious. But it is easy to be fooled into thinking it is the real deal. And whilst they are wonderful you really do need to experience a real, authentic Christmas Market at least once. Although once you do, you will want to return.

Whilst in Stuttgart I visited 3 Christmas Markets in different towns around the region. All beautiful and unique in differing ways that left me feeling that unless you have visited a Christmas Market in Germany then you really haven’t experienced the real deal.

Stuttgart is only just over an hour away

And with Eurowings  offering flights out of Stansted and Heathrow for as little as £24.99 there really is no reason not to visit. The region has blown me away; I can’t believe we have not visited before, there is much for families to do all year round.

I was so lucky to have some wonderful experiences in this truly beautiful region and I can’t wait to share them all, however today I want to share why you should hop on a plane to Stuttgart and see the real German Christmas Markets.

The Stuttgart Christmas Market

Located in the city center and a couple of minute walk from the train station Stuttgart Christmas Market is a huge buzzing market. The wonderful thing about the Stuttgart Christmas Market is that shops and boutiques surround it. Making it the ideal place to do all of your festive shopping.

And the perfect post-shopping place to chill with a delicious festive cookie and gluhwein. The food is a major feature of all the Christmas Markets, with stalls offering fruit kebabs dipped in chocolate, chocolate slabs, pork rolls, potatoes I could go on. German street food really is quite delicious and worth traveling for.

Stuttgart Christmas Market also hosts a large ice rink; I just wish it had snowed during our visit. Ice-skating in the snow is the stuff off dreams.

Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.comShopping on the Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.comThe best Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Tips for visiting the Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, www.extraordinarychaos.com

Ludwigsburg Baroque Christmas Market

I can’t wait to share more about my list the Ludwigsburg palace, it is breathtaking and a must place to visit. The market set in the town square under the most beautiful church, which is lit up with thousands of twinkling lights and spectacular giant angels that feel as though they are looking over you. It really is a beautiful sight and with 120 stalls there is so much to see.

The gingerbread at Ludwigsburg traditionally comes fresh from the oven. Can you imagine the delicious smell coupled with sweet gluhwein, as you wander amongst the sparkling stalls?

Ludwigsburg is a beautiful town with so much to see. And is very easy to get around as it is built on a grid system. All streets are parallel, apart from the street leading back to the train station, which is diagonal making it very difficult to get lost.

Ludwigsburg Christmas Market , Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Festive Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

The town square at Ludwigsberg Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Visiting Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, , Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany

Esslingen Medieval Market and Christmas Market

All the markets are fabulous but Esslingen captured my heart in a way I never thought possible. I am not sure if it was the historic feel of the village that is a perfect Dinseyesque version of Germany, with is medieval buildings of different shapes and pastel colours.  When Disney represents Germany it must be based on Esslingen. I felt like I was visiting a storybook from my childhood. The sort of place that gives you a warm feeling inside and makes you want to stay forever. Esslingen is breathtakingly beautiful and I fell head over heels in love with it.

Esslingen features a Christmas and Medieval Christmas Market. The Christmas market boasts over 120 stalls and no two stalls are the same. Every stall sells something different, which leaves you wanting to browse at a slow pace to take in every single molecule of festive joy.

The Medieval Market portrays life as it was 100s of years ago, Dressed in historic costume and offering stalls such as candle makers, rope and basket makers. There are street performers, and a doctor, which even though I can’t speak a word of German spent ages watching a laughing along. You can even have a bath at the market, just like in the old days. And to keep the market authentic, at night the market is lit by candlelight and oil lamp. Which has left me desperate to visit in the evening.

Esslingen Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Esslingen medieval Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Esslingen Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Medieval Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Tips for visiting Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

The best Christmas Markets In Stuttgart, Germany www.extraordinarychaos.com

Those are my 3 wonderful and very different reasons to visit Stuttgart Christmas Markets.

But you need a plan, either 3 days an a market a day. Or a fleeting trip and a market a year, they are all beautiful for different reasons. Which is why if you have a Christmas Market wish list then these gems deserve a place.

Pin For Later

I visited 3 Christmas Markets in towns around Stuttgart. Unless you have visited a Christmas Market in Germany you really haven't experienced the real deal.

SaveSaveSaveSave

1. 12th December 2016 / 5:00 am

Loved this post Havent been there in 30 years MUST remedy this!

14th December 2016 / 10:26 pm

Oh Becky you must and thank you x

2. 12th December 2016 / 7:57 am

An hour away? We really need to explore more of Europe next year. The Bavarian countries offer something totally different.

14th December 2016 / 10:27 pm

I know so easy to get to and I so want to go and see more x

3. 12th December 2016 / 8:28 am

Isn’t the Stuttgart market just amazing!! We had planned to go yesterday to Stuttgart but I’, currently suffering from extreme pain on my shoulder and neck 🙁 Next year I will make it, and when I do we will also be visiting the Ludwigsburg & Esslingen markets! I’ve heard so many wonderful things about them! #MondayEscapes

14th December 2016 / 10:32 pm

I know I loved it so much, oh no poor you I hope you are better soon and yes next year it will all be waiting for you x

4. 12th December 2016 / 12:00 pm

You’re right, German Christmas markets are the stuff of dreams. Sadly for me there are no budget flights from where I live to Germany so it’s been years since I’ve been to one. However I have visited in summer and find that Germany is so under rated, it’s such a beautiful country. #mondayescapes

14th December 2016 / 10:34 pm

Phoebe this is exactly what I found, it was never on my radar now I cant wait to go back x

5. 12th December 2016 / 1:31 pm

This post made me feel so Christmassy! We haven’t ventured to Germany yet as a family -would definitely love to visit the Christmas markets , looks lovely.

14th December 2016 / 10:36 pm

Thanks you Coral, you need to go it is wonderful x

6. 12th December 2016 / 2:12 pm

The Germans do the Christmas markets the best! I need to make sure I take my kids there next year – they would love the gingerbread and I would love the mulled wine! #mondayescapes

14th December 2016 / 10:37 pm

Jo they so do, they are wonderful and yes we need to take our boys too x

7. 12th December 2016 / 2:31 pm

I have duly noted these and put them top of my wish-list for next year!I can’t believe we still haven’t visited a proper Christmas market in Germany. I’m sure you’re right – the type we get here are lovely , but you do need to see the real thing. I’ve been blown away by your gorgeous pictures! x

14th December 2016 / 10:37 pm

Oh Nell they are the stuff of dreams so beautiful, I loved every second x

8. 12th December 2016 / 5:15 pm

This looks so chocolate box perfect I must go to a German Christmas Market. Esslinger looks fabulous, great photos #MondayEscapes

14th December 2016 / 10:38 pm

Thanks so much Andrea it is absolutely perfect x

9. 12th December 2016 / 7:16 pm

What a wonderful experience. I haven’t been to Germany at Christmas but having seen how they do Christmas shops I know you are right about it not being the same here in the U.K. What a great price on the flights too! It definitely makes it worth staying for a few days! #MondayEscapes

14th December 2016 / 10:39 pm

Claire don’t get me wrong they are still wonderful here, but it was special in Germany x

10. 12th December 2016 / 7:35 pm

I have to agree with you. There is nothing like German Christmas markets. We went to one in Chicago a few weeks ago, and although it was charming (though very crowded) and reminded me a lot of the one I went to in Nuremberg a few years ago, it just wasn’t the same. Thanks for sharing about these Christmas markets. It brought back memories. #mondayescapes

14th December 2016 / 10:40 pm

Alison they just have that wonderful atmosphere like its mean’t to be and not an attraction if that makes sense x

11. 13th December 2016 / 2:21 am

I can really feel your excitement about the markets in your writing. I feel like you have passed that enthusiasm to me. I feel like you in a lot of different ways. Traditions from certain countries have been adopted all over the world (or on certain regions). W e are happy to experience that because, well, it is all we have. But, one we experience the real deal is feels totally different. I would really love to experience these markets. I will battle the cold for that (and cold weather is not my thing). #MondayEscapes

14th December 2016 / 10:41 pm

Ruth you had hit the nail on the head here, and ha ha I love the cold x

12. 13th December 2016 / 4:27 am

Christmas is my absolute favourite holiday, and this Christmas market in Stuttgart looks amazing! We have Christmas markets too here in Canada, but I haven’t been to one yet that is at this scale. One day I hope to visit this market!

14th December 2016 / 10:41 pm

Bryan I hope you get there because it is fabulous x

13. 13th December 2016 / 6:52 am

Love this post. Love the pictures! I spent one winter in Germany as a teenager. Your pictures took me back! 🙂

14th December 2016 / 10:42 pm

Ah thanks so much Echo isn’t it amazing there ? x

14. 13th December 2016 / 12:43 pm

Loved reading about the German Christmas markets! And your images are so pretty! 🙂

14th December 2016 / 10:45 pm

Ah Mandy thank you so much x

15. 14th December 2016 / 8:30 pm

I can almost smell that gingerbread and mulled wine from here! Sounds amazing Sarah and so Christmassy 🙂 x

14th December 2016 / 10:50 pm

Julia it was sooooooo amazing the food was incredible and oooh the Gluwien x

16. 27th December 2016 / 4:32 pm

I would love to visit one of these markets. The smells and sights sound just magical. The Christmas market in our city used to come from Germany and I loved it, when it stopped coming the market lost something for me

30th December 2016 / 6:00 pm

Thank you Zena, I know everything about it was perfect I cant wait to re visit x

17. 8th January 2017 / 10:17 pm

I can’t imagine what the markets were like. I love visiting the German markets over here but I can imagine they are nothing like the ones in Germany. And I can’t believe the flight is only an hour. My best friend went to Bruge for the markets, and it is definitely something I would like to do with the kids. Just think you could do a different country each year x

9th January 2017 / 8:49 pm

Oh Tracey the atmosphere is fab so festive you would love it x