If you would have told me 20 years ago I would love Climbing walls, Zip wires, and tree trekking I would have laughed at you, because I was a stereotype pink and sparkly and all things pretty loving, girly girl. I don’t know whether it is having boys, or just being a parent that has made me more adventurous and laid back. Jack and Joe are into everything that involves danger and getting as dirty as possible.
I compare to this to my friends with Girls and the differences seem vast. We are always entertaining friends at home of visiting friends, this way the children are all involved. Joe is a complete outdoors type he would be in the garden climbing as soon as he got out of bed if I would allow it. When friends with Boys come to our house they accept this and bring their children in playing out clothes so they can get dirty, climb and play football with not much stress. Some of my friends with girls(not all) bring them in white frilly socks and pretty dresses and then feel stressed that these pretty outfits will be ruined climbing a tree.
Now fortunately some of my friends are starting to cotton on that for whatever reason if a child goes into my garden they come back out filthy, but they always have fun. Isn’t it better to let then play and just be children and accept they will get dirty than stress offer keeping them looking clean and tidy.
It seems that although we try to let our children be individual and be who they want to be, there are at times some huge differences. I accept part of a daily life that living in my home;
- I will at times trip over a scooter or get hit by a football, or even shot by a Nerf gun. But don’t get me started on them ggrrr.
- My children’s clothes must be changed every day; they will always be muddy at the end of the day.
- That every football match ever played must be watched on T.V and discussed, if it is an important match sometimes replayed.
- I am expected to go on every fast ride invented, climb climbing walls, tree trek, stand at the side of football pitches in the pouring rain.
- Watch people getting arrested on T.V again and again and again zzzzz.
- Have to look at Ant, and Snail farms and discuss how Billy and Bobboy the snails are doing on a daily basis.