This is not one of my usual image heavy posts, but you know when you create something that just works and tastes amazing. Something that never occurred to me to make from scratch before. Red cabbage has to be one of my fave parts of a roast dinner. So I just had to share this Red Cabbage Recipe with you, it’s a game changer.
I don’t feel a roast dinner is complete without the simple sweet red cabbage recipe.
It’s a real highlight for me. But its hard to buy red cabbage in the shops at this time of year. However you can get fresh red cabbages all year round. Usually gracing Christmas orders nearer to the big event. So when I went in hunt for sweet red cabbage last week to serve with my roast dinner I was told it was a seasonal product, I stood in the supermarket and googled the recipe
And let me telling you I won’t be buying it again. Like always home-made is best. And in this case this braised sweet red cabbage recipe is a hell of a lot cheaper and sooo easy!
Check out the recipe below which is perfect sweet red cabbage for Christmas Dinner and Sunday Roasts.
How to cook red cabbage for roast dinner
- 1/2 Red cabbage
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Canderel spoonful or sugar
- 2 tbsp Butter
- pinch Salt and pepper
- Thinly sliced the red cabbage
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the red cabbage and coat with the butter Cook until it softens usually around 5 minutes
- Next add the sugar to the cabbage and gently mix to coat evenly.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan simmer and then reduce the heat to medium low
- Cover the pan and simmer until the cabbage is thoroughly cooked and slightly soft, stirring often, about 30-45 minutes depending how soft you like your red cabbage
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve
Can you freeze braised red cabbage?
Yes you can freeze the sweet red cabbage recipe once its been cooked. I always make up a couple of batches of cabbage and separate into portions in freezer bags. You can freeze for up to 3 months.
It’s great to have ready in the freezer, ready to pull out for roast dinners. Just thoroughly defrost and reheat in a pan to use.
And for ideas of how to cook brussel sprouts with pancetta check out this this brussel sprout recipe here.
Pin My Sweet Red Cabbage Recipe For Later