This is not one of my usual image heavy posts, but you know when you create something that just works and tastes amazing. Something that never occurred to me to make from scratch before. Red cabbage has to be one of my fave parts of a roast dinner. So I just had to share this Red Cabbage Recipe with you, it’s a game changer.
I don’t feel a roast dinner is complete without sweet red cabbage.
It’s a real highlight for me. But its hard to get red cabbage at this time of year. However you can get fresh red cabbages all year round. Usually gracing Christmas orders nearer to the big event. So when I went in hunt for sweet red cabbage last week and was told it was a seasonal product, I stood in the supermarket and googled the recipe. And let me telling you I wont be buying it again. Like always home-made is best. And in this case this braised red cabbage recipe is a hell of a lot cheaper and sooo easy!
How do I cook red cabbage for roast dinner?
Check out the recipe below which is perfect red cabbage for Christmas Dinner and Sunday Roasts.
How to cook red cabbage for roast dinner
- 1/2 Red cabbage
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Canderel spoonful or sugar
- 2 tbsp Butter
- pinch Salt and pepper
- Thinly sliced the red cabbage
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the red cabbage and coat with the butter Cook until it softens usually around 5 minutes
- Next add the sugar to the cabbage and gently mix to coat evenly.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan simmer and then reduce the heat to medium low
- Cover the pan and simmer until the cabbage is thoroughly cooked and slightly soft, stirring often, about 30-45 minutes depending how soft you like your red cabbage
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve
And for ideas of how to cook brussel sprouts with pancetta check out this this brussel sprout recipe here.
Pin For Later