Last weekend we had a special trip to Southampton to do one of our favourite things.
We visited a cruise ship; Royal Caribbean’s beautiful Navigator Of The Seas.
I though this would be an easy tale to tell, the tale of a ship in a day. We love cruising and as a family have cruised 7 times. Over half of those were with Royal Caribbean, our cruise line of choice.
We felt match fit and ready for this little assignment, but we got it so wrong. You cannot tell the tale of something as incredible as cruising in 1 day. Yes, you will be wowed by the majesty of the ship.
Be wowed by the attention to detail and the sheer volume of activities on offer. But it’s only the tip of the iceberg. As a family that loves cruising, we came away knowing we missed so much. Things that can’t be left to the imagination. Because if you don’t see it, experience or feel it, you just don’t get it.
It was a wonderful day, Joe is still buzzing from his FlowRider experience. And Jack is happy he got to have a kick about on his beloved sports court. (Because he spends his cruise on the sports deck) And as soon as we arrived home we all, yes, each and every one of us reached for the Royal Caribbean brochure. We knew what we had missed. All of the things we love, that you can’t demonstrate in a day.
With that in mind I thought I would share the 10 things we love about cruising as a family, prompted by our day on the incredible Navigator Of The Seas.
My head is buzzing with all the things I would share about The Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, how amazing my daily postcards could be with a new experience and port every day.
1. Embarkation day, arriving at the terminal, the buzz of getting on the ship with all the other passengers you are going to spend your cruise with. Who you say hi to as you are pouring your coffee, whilst you fill your forms out.
But knowing the ship is so huge; you may never see them again. Wandering around the ship, getting your bearings, and the excitement of finding your cabin for the first time, and meeting your cabin attendant who in a weeks time you will be so sad to say goodbye too.
2. Being stood on deck at the sail-away party with a cocktail in hand waving goodbye to people in dock. The feeling of excitement as you set sail for the very first time during your cruise.
3. Getting ready for dinner on the first evening, and walking onto the Royal Promenade (Not all ships have these) The buzz of the Royal Promenade is magical. Being sat in the champagne bar with pre dinner hors d’oeuvre and a glass of champagne, wondering what tonight’s delicious menu will be. I have never had a bad meal on a cruise. There are so many options.
4. The kids desperate to get into the kids club, our two love it, and it is so engaging they never grow out of it. Royal Caribbean tailor the clubs to grow with kids, teens and tweens. And whilst they are in playing gaga ball we can have a sneaky half hour in the casino. Cruise casinos are sparkly and James Bond like, they feel magical. I am not a big gambler but to be all dressed up with a cocktail playing a game of roulette is so exciting.
5. Watching an after dinner show, or ice show. Cruise entertainment is not like land based holiday entertainment. It is so much more professional and engaging. These guys mean business; you leave feeling like you have been to a professional show.
6. Waking up in a new port, and getting off the ship to a new land, new places to explore. Seeing a new and exciting cultures and experiences every day. And getting a taste for places you may want to visit for longer. Or ticking of your list, and making a mental note of what you will visit next time you dock here.
7. Returning to the ship after a day in port, being excited about grabbing your swimwear and heading to the pool to cool down. Getting back on board always feels great.
8. Waking up and deciding to stay on board for the day, because you are on holiday and some days you just want to chill by the pool.
9. Knowing the kids will never be bored; because there is so much to do beside the kids club. Including the FlowRider, a huge arcade, Ice skating, mini golf, climbing wall, and the sports court. And if your kids are like our boys and love sports you will have to force them off the ship.
10. Returning to your cabin in the evening to find your cruise compass, bickering over who gets to read it first to find out what is on the next day. And falling asleep reading it because you were the last to get your hands on it.
The knowing you have got it right.
That the whole family is engaged and happy, you may come home exhausted but you come home happy. And looking forward to your next family cruise, because for some families there is only one-way to travel.
And to see all the new upgrades on Navigator Of The Seas check out this post over on Cruising With Kids but check out the picture for a sneaky peek! If you are curious about the Royal Caribbean cruise ship fleet check out our Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships By Age Guide over on Cruising for all. Additionally if you have a cruise booked with Royal Caribbean find out about the latest Royal Caribbean Drinks Packages.
Pin For Later
14 thoughts on “Our Day on The Navigator Of The Seas, With Royal Caribbean”
What an amazing day and ship! I can imagine you were so sad to have to leave. Your 10 reasons to love cruising are spot on. I hope you get to experience that sail away party cocktail really soon! X
Oh Claire we were so sad to leave I love Royal Caribbean and cruising just my idea of a perfect holiday x
I didn’t realise you had been on 7 cruises Sarah. This certainly looks an amazing ship, and there are times when I really wish I didn’t suffer from terrible sea sickness. A land ship would be great for me lol x
Tracey I LOVE cruising it is the best thing ever, so luxurious and great fun. You should try it, honestly the ships are so huge if you sail out of the med you don’t know you are at sea because it is so still x
Great day it was so lovely seeing you there what a beautiful ship it is! xx
Ah it was lovely seeing you too, but I need to go on a cruise now ! x
They are the most incredible things -there is just so much to do! Looks fab Sarah XX
I know Megan you can relax and feel so chilled or take part in sports and so much more. Royal Caribbean Ships are so incredible x
I can sense your excitement from this post – you’re buzzing!
I’ve only done one ocean cruise but remember loving the sail away time.
This new ship looks fantastic – that dining room is incredible.
Thanks Trish, yes I so love cruising it actually gets me so giddy there is so much to do x
Oooh this has made me more excited about going on the Independence this weekend. What a great day! I seriously need to start cruising!
Ting I love it so much, we all do x
Oh wow, you guys are already cruise experts, 7 times? That’s amazing!! I still haven’t been on my first cruise, and I’m very curious to know if I will like it!
So many fun things to do on board, really enough to keep everyone busy!
Happy to have you on #MondayEscapes 😀
Oh you would love it, so much fun and sooo much to do x