Is it just me getting into the autumn vibe, changing around what we eat and introducing new tasty dinner ideas? Trying to get back into a routine and finding easy family meals that every one loves, but are less labour intensive.
So yes, for me finding easy midweek meals is essential. And this pulled chicken burger and wedges HelloFresh Recipe is just the ticket.
You see I love fresh food and aim to cook all midweek family meals from scratch rather than reaching for what’s easy. Easy is good but when you have no idea what is in a dish, that is a real no-no for me. I want to know exactly what ingredients are in my family’s food, that I have as much control as possible over additives. And the quality of the meat is to a standard I find acceptable without additives and bulking agents.
And that is what I love about Hello Fresh, yes you can order your meals, which we do from time to time. Because it is a great way to discover new ideas and recipes, when you are in a food rut. And we all get in those don’t we? Especially when there is so much to remember and think about in life.
The food comes all measured out and ready to go, with a step by step recipe card. Perfect for recreating your favourite meals. But Hello Fresh also have a huge online recipe archive packed with amazing family meal ideas. Including a rapid section for those nights you just haven’t got much time. Or more complex dishes for Friday night cooking whilst chatting over a glass of wine.
But midweek meals have got to be easy meals to make.
So that once I have got over the initial discovering the recipe stage, it is something I can prepare, put into the oven and leave it to work its magic without thinking, so I can concentrate on other things. But I also want tasty family meals, so I can look forward to it all day. I know I don’t want much do I?
HelloFresh Pulled Chicken Burgers
For The Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs
- 4 brioche buns
- 1 red chilli
- Salt and Pepper
- 150 ml bbq sauce
- 25 ml white wine vinegar
For The Wedges
- 5 large potatoes
- Salt and pepper to season
- 5 ml olive oil
- For The Coleslaw
- 2 carrots
- 2 baby gem lettuce
- 4 table spoonfuls of mayonnaise
- 25 ml white wine vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 220°C.
- Put the water in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the BBQ sauce and half the white wine vinegar.
- Halve the chilli lengthways, deseed then finely chop. Add as much chilli as you like to your pan along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring the stock to the boil; stirring it to ensure it combines. Once the stock is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken thighs ensuring the liquid covers them, and put a lid on the pan. Simmer until the chicken is cooked, 15-20 mins, stirring halfway. Once thoroughly cooked, pop the chicken on a plate and remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, chop the potato into wedges with the peel on to about the size of your index finger. Spread them out on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Shake the tray to coat the potato, then bake on the top shelf of your oven until golden and crispy, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through cooking.
- Peel the carrot, and pull a vegetable peeler lengthways along the carrot to make long thin ribbons. Add the carrot to a mixing bowl. Then remove and discard the root from the baby gem lettuce. Take off one leaf per person and reserve to go into the burger. Halve the remaining lettuce lengthways, and then slice widthways as thinly as you can.
- Add this to the bowl with the carrot. Combine the mayonnaise with the remaining white wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Halve the brioche buns and pop in your oven for the last 4-5 mins of chip cooking time, just to warm through and toast.
- Once the chicken is cooked and out of your pan, boil the remaining liquid vigorously on high heat until reduced to a thick sauce, 4 mins. But keep stirring to stop it burning, and then remove from the heat. Use two forks to shred the chicken as finely as you can. Return the shredded chicken to the pan with the BBQ sauce mixture. Stir it to ensure the chicken is well coated.
- Lastly add the mayonnaise dressing to the bowl with the lettuce and carrot and toss to combine.
Family meal time is precious
Meal time is the only time of day I get to have all of my family in one room, without them rushing off to do something or be somewhere. It’s when we chat about our days, sometimes-just chat about insignificant things, or what is going on in the world. But that time is our time. They are growing up fast and every meal time is precious. And I like the food to fit the occasion. You see if a teen is not loving their food, then they are not loving life, fact!
Now pulled chicken is not strictly a winter meal, it also lends itself rather well to alfresco dining. However eating a hearty pulled chicken burger with crispy wedges and a light coleslaw has a comforting feeling to it on these cold and rapidly becoming darker evenings.
I had never thought of cooking BBQ Pulled Chicken before, even though pulled pork is one of my favourite family meals. But this pulled chicken burger recipe is a great midweek dinner idea as it tastes amazing and is quick and easy.