Things To Do With Kids In Burgundy

Visiting France? Then check out my guide of Things To Do With Kids In Burgundy

We visited France this year for a family holiday. Something we haven’t done before, yes we have been for weekends to Disney or across to Calais shopping. And after the most incredible week we now know our past experiences were not the real France.

The real France is nestled in glorious villages and towns in regions such as the Burgundy backroads. I honestly never knew what to expect, France had been somewhere that felt to near to holiday. I know that makes no sense at all. When in fact France is the logical place to visit. Not too much traveling time, gorgeous scenery and generally a much warmer climate than here in the UK.

We spent an incredible week exploring this stunning region, I have shared lots. But I wanted to put it all in one place, so here are some of the things we loved about this gorgeous part of the world.

Stay- In The Burgundy Backroads-Things To Do With Kids In Burgundy

We stayed at two gorgeous properties Hotel Des Grands Chenes, Saint Fargeau and Domaine de Varenne, Saint-Amand-en-Puisaye. They are very different properties but both equally friendly, and in stunning surroundings. If you like the idea of home cooked food then Domaine de Varenne is a perfect with the option of home cooked food every evening. If a pool is a must for you check out Hotel Des Grands Chenes. We loved staying at both properties so honestly could not choose between them.

Things To Do In The Burgundy Backroads

Staying at Hotel Des Grands Chenes 3

Visit-Things To Do With Kids In Burgundy

I honestly had no idea how much fun we would have on our visit to Burgundy. With 2 boys who love to stay active we usually go for action packed holidays. I genuinely thought this trip would be a little bit more reserved. But no, in terms of action and adventure there is so much to do.

If you like climbing through trees and zip wires then check out Accrobranche, Parc du Bois de la Folie, Treigny. It is higher and faster than anything we have ever experienced. And so much fun!

My Captured Moment, Accrobranche, Parc du Bois de la Folie a

If you like to keep neared to the ground then a horse trek through the breathtaking French countryside might be more your thing. Ferme Equestre Les Grilles is a wonderful equestrian center where you can book all sorts of fun activities. We thoroughly enjoyed our adventure with the lovely Stephanie.

Horse Riding In Burgundy

If you like cooking then a family cooking lesson with Noemi at the stunning Jeanne D’Arc Cookery School is an incredible afternoon. And if you want to learn to make macarons in France then Noemi is the master and such wonderful company.

Making Macarons With Noemi at the Jeanne D'Arc Cookery School

But you can’t visit France and not check out a few Chateau. Chateau Ratilly is a breathtaking Disney like Chateau. The sort of place you fantasize about living in. Whilst Chateau de Saint Fargeau is bigger and grander, like something straight for the set of War and Peace. Both are very different and wonderful places to visit.

Visiting Chateau de Saint Fargeau l

I know I know. My Sunday photo is getting more and more every week. This week it's my Sunday 15 photos, but how can you visit somewhere so stunning and not share it. But you did get off lightly as I narrowed these down from hundreds. This to me is a real Disney Castle, a dream castle. If I could have a country Castle this would be it, I will share my town castle next week. Because obviously if you can afford a castle you would have a town and village one, right? As you enter through the dainty wooden gate the sheer beauty of Chateau Ratilly hits you, in fact at this very moment Jack looked at me and said Mum I want a Castle! Because Chateau De Ratilly is truly magnificent, in an understated dainty and pretty way. If there were such a thing as a modest Castle I would say Ratilly is just that, magnificent and breathtaking from the outside. Yet as you step into its walls it is like walking into a country village with a pretty courtyard garden overlooked by chocolate box cottage style doors and windows, which make you want to move in immediately. It is the sort of place you can see yourself living quite easily. It is owned by the Pierlot Family who bought the castle in 1951 after a colourful history, from been built in the 11th century up until that date. We were shown around by the lovely Clear and you could just tell the love she had for Ratilly in fact if you check out their website you just get it, the family grew up in the gorgeous castle, their parents lovingly turned part of Ratilly into a pottery studio which their daughter Nathalie still runs today. The website displays a few old black and white family photos, they just make you heart melt to see the love the family have for this beautiful piece of history. But who wouldn't it is breathtaking. Chateau De Ratilly much to the work of the Pierlot siblings still maintains the ethos that Jeanne and Norbet set out to create and is the most beautiful arts center, with a pottery studio run by the lovely Nathalie whom we watched at work and wow she is incredible. Ratilly also host’s exhibitions and concerts every summer. The incredible thing is we nearly never visited, we were meant to be geocaching but had to change our arrangements due to the rain. On this occasion I have to say hoorah for rain, as I am so glad we got to visit.

Once you have visited a few Chateau, go back in time and see a Chateau being built from scratch. Guedelon is an incredible project and something you need to see and be part of to believe. It’s not just a Chateau. its a medieval village in the making. We loved our day spent being part of history in the making.

Being Part of Living History At Guedelon Castle

Eat-Things To Do With Kids In Burgundy

And you cannot visit France and enjoy all the delicious food. And the restaurants we visited did not disappoint. Cafe Du Bal  is a traditional French restaurant with excellent service and great food. In fact they serve the best snails I have ever tasted. And with a reasonably price menu it is the perfect place in a beautiful village.

Le Montecristo restaurant in Saint Fargo is perfect if you like Pizza, I had the smoked salon and creme fraiche and omg it was so good.

My Sunday Photo, Saint-Fargeau, A Quintessential French Village 10

Auberge La Demoiselle in Saint Fargeau is a more tradition restaurant serving fantastic food and offering excellent service. Ideally located in the centre of the village so perfect for people watching.

And lastly, but by no means least Moulin de Corneil. This is a breathtaking chocolate box restaurant overlooking a river, serving the best steak cooked perfectly, and the desert was divine. The service was fantastic and the environment is so friendly. In fact we were struggling to translate one of the dishes and a diner on the next table stepped in to help us out.

Things To Do In The Burgundy Backroads

I can honestly say we did not have a bad meal in France, and with the help of a translation app to translate menus we managed fine to say our French is not good at all.

So there it is our French adventure in less that 750 words. An incredible trip, from the wonderful people we met, to the action packed schedule and amazing food. In fact this trip has fuelled a love for France and its wonderful people and I hope we get to explore something new every year for years to come.

Pin For Later

Things To Do In The Burgundy Backroads, France, Where to stay, what to do and where to eat in a region that has so much to do

SaveSaveSaveSave

1. 17th August 2016 / 8:59 pm

It looks like you had a fantastic trip! I’m really impressed by the amount of activities you fitted in, as well as how many are actually available in the region. I too would have thought this is a more subdued destination, so it’s great to see that there are plenty of family adventures to be had for active kids.

17th August 2016 / 9:14 pm

Ali it was incredible, we had such a wonderful time. So much so we would love to go back as there is loads we didn’t get time to do. x

2. 21st August 2016 / 10:16 pm

We can’t wait to go to Burgundy , love France so much perhaps you can join us again next time!

21st August 2016 / 10:17 pm

Ah we would love to join you, I love meeting up last time and would love to enjoy Burgundy with you all x

3. 3rd October 2016 / 7:55 am

Gorgeous looking hotels and the final pic of the restaurant is so tempting. Transport me there now!
    #mondayescapes

7th October 2016 / 8:08 pm

Trish I loved the whole region such gorgeous people x

4. 3rd October 2016 / 10:01 am

Both your accommodation choices look wonderful and I would have enjoyed the cookery school experience. Thanks for hosting #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 8:16 pm

Ah thanks so much Ahila it was such an amazing experience x

5. 3rd October 2016 / 10:57 am

What beautiful photos- looks like a lovely place #mondayescapes

7th October 2016 / 8:16 pm

Ah thanks you it is stunning, I totally fell in love with the region x

7th October 2016 / 8:42 pm

6. 3rd October 2016 / 11:08 am

It looks lovely! We have only ever done Paris and we have down the South of France for holidays- it looks so pretty. I love the buildings.

7th October 2016 / 8:17 pm

It is breathtaking Coral, such a wonderful experience x

7. 3rd October 2016 / 11:12 am

I’m so glad you’re a France convert because I’m a massive Francophile (so much so that I even run a linky #AllAboutFrance which opens on this coming Thursday and I hope you can link up) and I also love Guedélon. I went there 8 years ago, it’s fascinating to see how it has come along since then. Thanks for taking on #mondayescapes

7th October 2016 / 8:38 pm

Ah thanks Phoebe, I cant believe we haven’t spent more time there before x

7th October 2016 / 8:38 pm

Thanks Tanja it was fab x

8. 3rd October 2016 / 12:39 pm

Wow what a trip. I had no idea there’d be so much to do there and it all just looks so beautiful and steeped in history. I don’t think I’d want to leave for a good month!

7th October 2016 / 8:41 pm

Tas you would love it such a gorgeous place x

9. 3rd October 2016 / 12:49 pm

Oh these photos! Stunning and it looks idyllic. Love this xx #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 8:43 pm

Thanks Jess it is idlic x

10. 3rd October 2016 / 1:00 pm

France is definitely the country that keeps on giving! I’ve yet to find a bit I don’t love! And the food …

I’ve not been to Burgundy, but you really make me want to explore the area, your photos are lovely X
    #mondayescapes

7th October 2016 / 8:43 pm

oh the food Megan and yes you are so right x

11. 3rd October 2016 / 1:14 pm

Sounds lovely. I live the idea of a horse trek through the French countryside and who can resist a Chateau!

7th October 2016 / 8:44 pm

Oh it was an amazing experience x

12. 3rd October 2016 / 5:34 pm

I loved following your trip Sarah, and it is great that you found lots of adventure for the boys. I have never visited France (not even Disney lol), but sounds such a perfect place to visit. The restaurants all sound divine #MondayEscapes x

7th October 2016 / 8:48 pm

Tracey France is just perfect you would love it, I hope next time the weather is a little better x

13. Kathrin Schönberg
    3rd October 2016 / 7:51 pm

Beautiful pictures and so many fun things to do!! The climbing park, the horseback riding and I want to make these blue macaroons, too!! I miss traveling Europe and french restaurants are the best. Thanks for sharing! #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 8:49 pm

Thank you Kathrin, it was all so amazing but omg making Macaroons was incredible x

14. 3rd October 2016 / 8:25 pm

OOh I would love to explore Burgundy one day! So glad that #MondayEscapes is continuing! Looking forward to getting to know you gals! 🙂

7th October 2016 / 8:50 pm

Lolo it is breathtaking I cant wait to go back to France x

15. 3rd October 2016 / 9:13 pm

I’ve got 2 very active boys too, so this part of France looks like it could be right up our street too. The zip wire looks fantastic and we love a bit of horse riding too. Don’t even get me started on the food! #Mondayescapes

7th October 2016 / 8:50 pm

Joanne I was a bit worried the boys would not be occupied but omg it was the best holiday ever x

16. 3rd October 2016 / 10:02 pm

Looks like a great week, we love France but it’s great to know somewhere else to go that will keep everyone interested! #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 8:51 pm

Clare it is the perfect region to keep everybody occupied x

17. 3rd October 2016 / 10:09 pm

Burgundy looks beautiful and that good?!? Wow! I love France it is a wonderful country – I lived there for a few years but near Evian on Lake Geneva. I have explored the Dordogne but have always passed through Normandy – it definitely looks like a great place to visit! #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 8:52 pm

Tracy I bet that was amazing, one of my best friends has a house in Normandy that was beautiful too x

18. 3rd October 2016 / 10:59 pm

Looks like a whirlwind of an adventure and so scenic too. My mummy remembers her parents car breaking down in Burgundy! #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 8:53 pm

It was such a wonderful week thank you x

19. 4th October 2016 / 2:34 am

Burgundy sounds wonderful. Both places you stayed look so quaint and cozy. And I’m always up for touring a castle. #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 9:37 pm

Oh they were Alison and such wonderful hosts x

20. 4th October 2016 / 3:05 am

I’ve read about Guedelon before and I’m completely fascinated by this project. How great you got to visit. And to learn how to make macaroons – sounds exquisite! And dangerous! #mondayescapes

7th October 2016 / 9:37 pm

Corey Guedelon is incredible we so loved it, such an amazing experienced x

21. 4th October 2016 / 4:09 am

I am fascinated by your pictures and the accounts of the trip. Sometimes, the least obvious places end up being the most memorable. I am glad you guys had fun in France. Hope you will write more about the trip. I would like to learn more about the cooing class.

7th October 2016 / 9:38 pm

Ruth absolutely, this was the most memorable trip ever for so many wonderful reasons x

22. pc
    4th October 2016 / 4:48 am

Oh my! Great guide for visiting Burgundy. From stay, action, chateau to food, you’ve covered everything that I like! #mondayescapes

7th October 2016 / 9:39 pm

Ah thanks so much it was such an easy place to love and share x

23. 4th October 2016 / 7:16 am

I love France, we spent a few weeks travelling around France pre children, and have been back once with them, but we need to go again! love the idea of a family cooking lesson! #MondayEscapes

7th October 2016 / 9:41 pm

Thanks Kerry we loved France, and the cooking lesson was so memorable x

24. 4th October 2016 / 2:14 pm

What a stunning post! It looks as though you had an incredible time. Horse riding is one thing we didn’t do this summer, when we were in France – shame, as they do it so well there. I’m glad you enjoyed it all.

7th October 2016 / 10:03 pm

Ah thanks Nell, I have loved watching your French adventure too, France is a stunning country x

25. 4th October 2016 / 10:09 pm

Looks like it was a fabulous trip! I love the photos of the Chateau. I’ve not been to France for a while, but now that I’ve read your post, I want to visit again soon! Thanks for sharing. #mondayescapes

10th October 2016 / 9:40 pm

Ah thank you, its the most infectious place isn’t it? x

26. 5th October 2016 / 1:49 pm

What a lot of great tips. I think I want to go back and recreate your trip Sarah. The food sounds amazing and the places you stayed look divine. I’d really like to get over to France or Spain next year. Thanks for hosting #MondayEscapes

10th October 2016 / 9:55 pm

Claire it was the most incredible trip and you would love it xx

27. 6th October 2016 / 6:38 pm

Burgundy is such a beautiful region of France. It’s a great place to eat and drink as you discovered and the tree climbing and zip wires sound awesome.
    Potty Adventures
    #MondayEscapes

10th October 2016 / 10:16 pm

David it was such a perfect trip we loved it x

28. 9th October 2016 / 8:39 pm

So lovely reading back to this because it brings back great memories for me too. And brilliant that you are now leading the #MondayEscapes charge this week. Love it x

10th October 2016 / 10:31 pm

Ah thanks Ting, it was a special trip wasn’t it x

29. 12th October 2016 / 9:08 pm

We holiday in France every year (my husband’s family live there so we tend to visit them for a week and then head off somewhere else for a week) so I can totally relate to your enthusiasm for the country.

We’ve only ever done a stopover in Burgundy but your round-up has inspired me to look into spending more time there!

I will link up a post that I have done on child friendly places to stay…just in case you would like to go back!

#MondayEscapes

16th October 2016 / 9:21 am

Ah thanks you, I will check that out x

30. 14th October 2016 / 10:52 pm

Really enjoying following along on your trip on Instagram. Aside from a long weekend in Paris years back, we haven’t had a holiday in France since we moved to London ten years ago and I’ve only been on work trips to Strasbourg. Hope to change that soon and the Burgundy region sounds fabulous. I love the idea of taking part in cooking classes and the Guedelon chateau sounds like such an interesting place to visit. #MondayEscapes

16th October 2016 / 9:30 am

Ah thanks Cindy we had such a wonderful time and the cooking class omg x

31. 14th January 2017 / 1:22 am

This is a part of France I have not yet been to, but I can see I must add it to my list. This region looks amazing and I am sure we would enjoy time exploring Burgundy. I’d love the macaron classes too.

15th January 2017 / 5:08 pm

Lyn it is such a gorgeous region I just loved it x