Up-Cycling A Garden Table With Leftover Tiles

Have you ever fallen in love with a tile? I kid you not; it was love at first sight when I first saw these ever so beautiful Laura Ashley, Heritage Collection Mr. Jones Charcoal Floor tiles.

So I really wanted to work out how to recycle leftover tiles to create something  beautiful.

I had been looking for months for the perfect tiles for our front porch. I wanted something vintage but not traditional looking. Does that make sense?

Not too shabby chic, more of trendy vintage look. I might have driven Chris a little mad, constantly looking, as nothing was right. And then I saw Mr. Jones and wow I knew that was it. Mr. Jones was the one and would be living in my front porch very soon.

Chris got it when he saw them. I know we have a country home and tiles like this adorn the doorsteps of gorgeous porches all over cities. But I wanted a pocket of the city on our very own doorstep. And even better they are so Instagramable.

Up-Cycling A Garden Table The House of British Ceramic Tile www.extraordianrychaos.com

A Little Garden Project With The House of British Ceramic Tile

Our neighbour who does not get new fangled things such as the internet looks constantly flummoxed at the sight of me taking pictures of my feet on my beautiful new tiled porch floor, I am sure he thinks I am ever so slightly mad. Maybe he is right? But I wouldn’t know where to start explaining Instagram to him ha ha.

Anyhow tiling such a small area has its problems with pattern tiles. Because we chose to align the tiles centrally there was quite a bit of cutting to do. This meant ordering and extra box of tiles. But I was determined not to leave these beauties in a box in the shed. That would be such a waste.

I am sorely tempted to get the whole kitchen tiled in them, it would look incredible, but I know that’s a job for another day.

Last week when we were busy preparing the garden for summer we had the idea of transforming our decking table and using the waste tiles to create a tiled table top.

It was a glass-topped table and just totally unpractical with clumsy boys. Joe insists the table was slippy, hence why he spilled almost every drink he placed on it. The table was also far to light and was easily knocked, thus all drinks on it spilt.

As part of national tile week, a nationwide celebration of tiles and in conjunction with The House of British Ceramic Tile we decided that we would up-cycle the table and create a new tiled top. This would not only create a bit of weight and make the table sturdier. It would resolve Joe’s slippy surface problem and give me an excuse to use my beautiful Laura Ashley tiles.

I am going to be totally honest here, because if I don’t I will never hear the last of it. Chris is the hands on person in this house. And I am totally happy with that arrangement. With my involvement being purely on a creative and supervisory capacity!

A Little Garden Project With The House of British Ceramic Tile

A Little Garden Project With The House of British Ceramic Tile

A great diy tile project.

Here is how we up-cycled our table in 5 easy steps with spare floor tiles.

1.A. Once the glass tabletop is removed measure the top and cut a piece of wood to the correct size and attach to the table with a bonding agent.

2.B. Decide on a tile arrangement and measure for any cuts needed.

3.C. We went for a metal edged strip. This is available from any hardware store.

4.D. Cut tiles with a tile cutter, ensuring you wear goggles and use a guard.

5.E. Position tiles and use tile cement and grout to secure. We went for grey for a more contemporary effect. Once the tiles are dry cut the silver strip to the correct length ensuring you cut the corners on an angle to meet neatly on the corners, and attach with bonding agent.

A Little Garden Project With The House of British Ceramic Tile

A Little Garden Project With The House of British Ceramic Tile

A Little Garden Project With The House of British Ceramic Tile

A Little Garden Project With The House of British Ceramic Tile

I am thrilled with how the table looks now. I always felt the table let our decking set down a little. Looking a little flimsy and dull. However now it is super stylish and looks so much more substantial. It just goes to show what a huge difference an up-cycle project can make. And that tiles are just not for floors and walls. They can be used in a variety of creative ways its just about being a little open-minded.

To celebrate British Ceramic Tile have an amazing giveaway. They’re offering 2 lucky people a trip to London, including 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast, transport to and from London and tickets to the V&A exhibition. All you need to do is head over to the website and fill in the form, good luck.

Pin For Later

As part of national tile week, a nationwide celebration of tiles and with The House of British Ceramic Tile we decided we would up-cycle our garden table.

Home Etc

1. 12th April 2017 / 3:40 pm

Wow, this looks great, and well done tackling the tile cutter! Lovely finish.

2. Seaneen mcloughlin
    15th April 2017 / 2:17 pm

Great way to make something hard wearing and quirky for the home.

3. DEBORAH EMBLETON
    16th April 2017 / 7:14 pm

Looks great wish I was this creative :/

4. 17th April 2017 / 1:12 pm

Oh I love this Sarah! I have the same sofa set as you and I am always worried about the boys breaking the glass table. I might have to do something similar as it will look beautiful and more practical

5. 27th April 2017 / 10:23 am

Wow, what a difference! Glass-topped tables always worry me, this is a really clever idea. I can see why you’re in love with those tiles, they’re just gorgeous. #HomeEtc

1st May 2017 / 7:50 pm

Yes it really worried me too Catherine but I just love it now x

6. 27th April 2017 / 2:21 pm

This looks fantastic Sarah, I love what you’ve done with the table. We have a similar one, and you’ve got me thinking that we could do something more with it to jazz it up! #homeetc

1st May 2017 / 7:50 pm

Ah thanks so much Becky, I am so thrilled with it as I was not keen on the table at all before x

7. 29th April 2017 / 2:55 pm

Looks great, and what a clever idea.

8. 29th April 2017 / 7:51 pm

What a stunning upcycle project! And I love love those tiles, we’re thinking of tiles for our hallway so they may be just the ticket. I wish Pete was more hands on, he’s great with electrics and hanging things but not so great with creative DIY projects Xx #HomeEtc

9. Christine Hobbs
    30th April 2017 / 8:19 pm

Great look and so professional you should be very proud

10. lynn neal
    30th April 2017 / 9:01 pm

Great results, looks like it has been purchased fro a high end shop!

11. 2nd May 2017 / 10:52 am

Oh Sarah!!! I think this is my fave upcycle ever — it looks fabulous!! Love the tiles too — I’m wanting something similar for our ensuite. There is actual CARPET in there at the mo!! LOL!! Who has carpet in a bathroom?? Apart from me of course 😉

7th May 2017 / 6:37 pm

Caro I just love the tiles they are so beautiful, and look amazing on the table. Thanks so much my lovely x

12. 2nd May 2017 / 2:40 pm

Wow what a fab idea. I love the idea of having a tiled table top and those tiles are just gorgeous.
    I did laugh about your neighbour! I think mine thinks exactly the same! #HomeEtc

7th May 2017 / 6:41 pm

Ha ha yes I must look mad, I live the infinitude result Carly it looks so great x

13. 2nd May 2017 / 8:24 pm

This looks brilliant and you’re so right, glass is dangerous with kids. A few weeks ago, Elodie cut her head open on one of ours. Safety aside, the tiles look much nicer anyway! Xx

7th May 2017 / 7:46 pm

Oh no thats awful, there is the exact reason to do this, it is so much prettier and safer x

14. 2nd May 2017 / 8:40 pm

Wow what a superb idea – and it looks so effective! I absolutely love it. You’ve made it look really stylish and so chic! Thanks for sharing xx

#HomeEtc

7th May 2017 / 7:46 pm

Ah thanks Jess I am so thrilled with how it has turned out x