Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space With Lakeland Furniture

I have finally completed our kitchen, well I say finally we are currently looking for a sparkly new range oven with a convection plate, and we will be finished. But the dining area has taken forever. When we moved in to our home, the kitchen was all done with the exception of needing a coat of white paint to banish the magnolia. It was the styling I was struggling with, I wanted A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space. With the addition of my new vintage pew and table. And fiding these gorgeous ultra modern replica chairs from Lakeland Furniture, I have finally achieved the look I wanted.

I could not decide on the dining area of our kitchen. It’s a large space, and most definitely the hub of the home.  We live in the kitchen, entertain in the kitchen, and always eat in there.  It is where we are all most at home, and I love it.

But the dining area has driven me mad, we had quite a modern table with suede chairs, but it never looked right or matched the floor. And although the kitchen itself is high gloss and modern I felt it needed a more vintage modern feel to soften the look of the room.

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Fortunately we were lucky enough to be gifted a gorgeous old church pew, which once restored, set the tone for the whole area. The tricky bit was the table; we have scoured every table and furniture shop known to man. They all looked too new, and every time I said that, Chris did a dramatic roll of the eyes. I had even spent hours on eBay, but there was nothing within a 80 mile radius. I did not want a traditional table and chairs set. I knew exactly what I wanted, I just had to find it. Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Then one night I was browsing facebook and it randomly appeared in my feed, a beat up scruffy table. Chris took one look and rolled his eyes yet again. In fact he may have uttered the words disgusting. But I was insistent this was the table I had been looking for and arranged for him to collect it. I kid you not, I nearly wept when I saw it, it is stunning.

And is a perfect match to the Replica Chairs I had already bookmarked at Lakeland Furniture.

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space

Once I had cleaned up the table, I ordered the chairs, now this too was a big decision. I had been planning this area for years, I knew the style but did I go for black to match the kitchen, or 4 coordinating pastel shades? After much consultation over a bottle of wine with my lovely friend Ruth we agreed black was the way forward and I put in the order.

The chairs arrived in 2 days, and took me 20 minutes to build before they were in pride of place looking gorgeous, looking like they were always meant to be with that table. I just love the whole look. It looks modern yet vintage, and is an area that I am now favouring as my desk on a sunny afternoon. Sitting working away with a cup of coffee overlooking the garden is wonderful. I can’t wait for my first dinner party now.  It was 5 1/2 years in the making, probably the longest drawn out decision I have even made. But I am so glad I held out for the right look now, it was so worth it.

Pin For Later

Creating A Vintage Yet Modern Dining Space, With Lakeland Furniture

Home Etc

1. 15th July 2016 / 4:51 pm

Sarah this is stunning! As you know I’m moving house and reading every homes blog I can at the moment. I have a table which has been well used and I love it, looks great with modern chairs and I think these are really cool. Black was a good choice! X

19th July 2016 / 10:04 pm

Thanks Julia, I am so thrilled with them, I made the right decision x

2. 20th July 2016 / 11:05 am

That works perfect! I love it too, and it looks fantastic together. Enjoy!

21st July 2016 / 8:37 pm

Thanks Stephanie I am thrilled with it x

21st July 2016 / 8:38 pm

Ah thanks Fionnuala I am so pleased with it x

3. 20th July 2016 / 12:53 pm

Absolutely stunning, that church pew is amazing… if you ever need to find a new home (As if you could bear to part with it) please let me know!!! #HomeEtc

21st July 2016 / 8:41 pm

Ha ha ok Suzanne I will bear you in mind but I do love it, and thank you x

4. 21st July 2016 / 12:36 pm

It looks GORGEOUS!! As you say, the perfect mix of old V new — I love it. LOVE the table. Our kitchen table is equally old and, shall we say, ‘distressed’!! We’ve had it for 15 years now and will never part with it!! PS — congrats on being last month’s winner (very well deserved — I love your home posts)!! 🙂 xx Caro #HomeEtc

21st July 2016 / 8:45 pm

Ah thank you so much Caro I am over the moon about winning, and yes distressed is the best term, and much loved maybe xx

5. 22nd July 2016 / 8:28 pm

How fantastic that you were gifted a pew and the whole look just goes so well Sarah. I love the mix of old and new, and the chairs are gorgeous. When we redid our dining room last year I think I looked at every dining room chair available to mankind lol x

25th July 2016 / 9:20 pm

Ah thanks Tracey, I am am loving how it looks now I am so pleased with it, we were so lucky with the pew x

6. 23rd July 2016 / 9:51 pm

This is gorgeous. I know what you mean about the hubby rolling your eyes haha I’ve been banned from eBay now. Your finds are great though and the rustic wood looks fab against the metal on the chairs. Love it.

#HomeEtc

25th July 2016 / 9:24 pm

Ha ha, thanks Karen I am so pleased with it, men just haven’t got any vision have they x

7. 25th July 2016 / 5:02 pm

they look great – and that style of chairs are so versatile aren’t they? Love the pew. Gorgeous #homeetc

25th July 2016 / 9:32 pm

Thanks Stephanie, yes they are I just love them x

8. 26th July 2016 / 7:36 pm

LOVE! Great job and oh how stylish 🙂 The table looks amazing against the modern chairs. What a brilliant space to eat and entertain. Great job. Jess xx

#HomeEtc

28th July 2016 / 9:03 pm

Thanks Jess I am so pleased with it x

9. 3rd August 2016 / 9:46 am

It looks so gorgeous and that church pew is amazing. It all goes together so well. I’d never think to put a pew with a table like that but it looks perfect!

3rd August 2016 / 9:29 pm

Ah thanks Tas, I must say I am so pleased with it, I am so glad I went for that look x

10. Mark
    6th August 2016 / 9:28 am

Beautiful home and a very lovely, rustic table. For some reason, I always find reclaimed / scruffy wood a pleasure to look at and enjoy in my own home; it’s possibly something about bringing nature into the home.

6th August 2016 / 11:42 pm

Thanks Mark, yes me too it fits with modern so well x

30th December 2016 / 5:58 pm

Thanks so much Lotte I am thrilled with them and 6 moths lat they are still looking fab x