It’s that time of the year, when all you want to snuggle and eat comfort food, especially delicious Spicy Apple Cake.
The nights are getting darker and colder I am feeling the need to stay home, light the fire and keep cozy and warm. And to tie in with the seasons, I recently received an adorable autumn bundle from Laura Ashley. I love how Laura Ashley embraces seasons and weaves them into ranges, so they fit the season yet are not necessarily bound by it.
And this gorgeous Apple Dish is exactly one of those pieces that would not look out-of-place brimming full of fruit salad on a hot summers day. But is also indicative of all things autumn. So much so it inspired me to make a sticky spicy autumn dessert.
Hairy Bikers Spicy Apples Cake
- Oil for spraying
- 750 g Bramley cooking apples
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Zest Finely grated zest of lemon
- 250 g self-raising ?our
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g demerara sugar plus 2 tbsp
- 200 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100 ml sun?ower oil
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Line your cake bowl with baking parchment.
- Peel the apples and cut them into quarters. (I have a great little gadget for this) Remove the cores and cut the apples into thin slices. Put the apple slices in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and zest.
- Mix the ?our, baking powder, cinnamon and spice in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs with the 100g of sugar, the milk and sun?ower oil in a separate medium bowl using a large metal whisk. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring lightly until combined, use the whisk to break up any lumps.
- Toss the lemony apples through the cake batter until evenly mixed and pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar evenly over the top and bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour until it is well risen and golden on top. Test the cake by inserting a knife into the centre, it should slide easily through the apples in the middle and come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the bowl and carefully peeling o? the baking parchment. Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve warm with a little vanilla ice cream.
And if an apple-shaped dish lends itself to nothing else then it has to be a spicy apple cake.
I had visions of cooking a French tart. But that wasn’t to be. It tasted great, but had looks not even a mother could love. I had no choice but to go back to the drawing board and find a dessert that suited this beautiful deep bowl. And there it was! I discovered a really simple but delicious recipe from the Hairy Bikers. I was probably not the best time to try a new recipe, as we were expecting friends for dinner.
I work better under pressure so decided to go for it. I have to say I was foolish; there was no back up plan. The cake had to work. And thank goodness it did. This is not something I thought I would ever say, but the Hairy Bikers came good.
If you like apples and cake, head over to see the recipe on the Laura Ashley Blog. And trust me on this; the Hairy Bikers will not disappoint you. The recipe is quick and easy and was a real crowd pleaser.
Pin for later