My Weekly Round Up, And Teenagers

It’s been another crazy week here. Last weekend we spent time with friends, went on long country walks and chilled out by the fire as I sipped my birthday Fizz. Making the most of our last minutes of having a 12-year-old. With every milestone I get that feeling that things will never be the same again. They are always different but better, Teendom is not something to dread, it’s different, has its challenges. But also has so many wonderful moments.  And this time next month we will have an 18 year old in the house, arghhhhh.

On another note, how amazing has this weather been? This is how autumn should be and long may it last.

Joe turned 13

It’s official we have 2 teenagers in the house. Joe had a fab birthday and even got to celebrate it a day early as we had a meeting at School to discuss a trip on his Birthday. I haven’t got any photos of him with balloons. Even though I bought them, as it’s not as cool anymore apparently! This weekend he is having a sleep over and taking a few friends go carting. So in true Christie style, dragging the celebrations out, we do love a birthday in this household.

Chocolate Cake Made From Cup Cakes www.extraordinarychaos.com

Made

I didn’t get time to make a cake this year! So I constructed a cup cake tower with a sponge, chocolate cup cakes, Maltesers and a few strategically placed cocktail sticks. He was thrilled with it and has happily munched his way through cup cakes all week.

Read

I have finished The Runaway Wife by Dee MacDonald this week. The ending was not what I expected at all. You will have to read it to find out, but Connie was such a lovable character. I could not wait to see what she got up to next so have downloaded the next book The Getaway Girls. Also check out my latest book post and chance to win a Kindle.

And I have been trying out a new cookbook this week. We love Chinese food in our house but getting a take-away is such a faff when you live in the country. This new Stir Crazy recipe book by Ching He-Hung is fantastic; it is packed with fab recipes I am dying to try out. Last night we made pineapple chicken and omg it was like having a takeaway it was delicious. I just know we are going to use it loads.

Stir crazy by Ching-He Huang

The best books to read 2018

Visited

I took a trip to London to have afternoon tea at the Ivy with the lovely people from Prestige, and some fab bloggers including my pal Caro. The lunch was to meet Stacey Solomon and check out her new pressure cooker recipes. Having never used a pressure cooker before I was nervous. But mine arrived yesterday and I decided to give it a go a make a curry. Omg it is so easy to use, I still can’t get over the fact that you leave it to cook and it doesn’t stick! There is a list of recipes I want to try including chocolate cake, I kid you not, yes chocolate cake, so will be sharing those soon.

Stacey Soloman and Prestige www.extraordinarychaos.com

The Ivy Tower Hill, www.extraordinarychaos.com

Afternoon tea at the ivy www.extraordinarychaos.com

It was a gorgeous sunny day in London and the sky was blue so I took the chance to take a few photos of Tower Bridge, you can never get bored looking at it can you?

Tower Bridge in London www.extraordinarychoas.com

Tower Bridge in London

A Cat Called Charley

Last week a cat appeared at our door. I mean literally every time we opened the door he was trying to get in. Which was a challenge as Toby was trying to get out to said cat. He is not a cat fan due to the constant tormenting he gets by the farm cats. (They sit on the decking to wind him up) But living in the country we need wild cats to keep hold of the rat and mouse population. And they do a blooming great job.

This little cat was different though; the wild cats although they are always around never come near. This little fella looked starving and kept trying to rub against our legs. After 24 hours I decided he needed food and lots of strokes, he had not left our door in 24 hours. So we fed him, poor little thing was gulping it down as it came out of the packet he was starving.

Charly the Cat www.extraordinarychaos.com

Having no cat experience I had no idea what to do, if we brought him in we were uncertain what Toby would do and he seemed sick. To cut a long story short the local cat rescue has put him in foster care, he is so thin that the vet has done loads of test. We have everything crossed that its nothing serious and he can be nursed back to health. But here is the thing the boys and I have totally fallen in love with him.

We can’t get a cat, Chris is allergic, and Toby, well I have no idea how he will be. But look at that little face. He is so friendly and adorable.

Next week?

I have a lovely lunch planned with my beautiful pal Nadine. I am hoping for a sunny day so we can take some photos too. And I may be using my slow cooker quite a bit and sharing a recipe on here. And next Friday my parents are coming to visit for the weekend and we are all off to see ELO. I am so excited we all love them and saw them in Wembley last year, they were INCREDIBLE so I can’t wait to see them again.

Linking up with Jocelyn over at the Reading Residence

Have a great weekend whatever you are up to

A Quick Catch Up, My Weekly Round Up

1. chantelle hazelden
    28th September 2018 / 4:00 pm

Cupcake tower sounds awesome! I get my first teenager in November eeekkkk. Well done with the cat rescue.

2. 28th September 2018 / 7:03 pm

I love what you did with the cupcakes Sarah, you are so creative I never would have thought of that. It sounds like Joe had a great birthday, hope he enjoys go karting with his mates. Charley cat is adorable, I hope he finds a new home and gets plenty of love poor little thing. I love my slow cooker this time of year but end up making the same things over and over I really should try and experiment more, can’t wait to see what you come up with. Have a lovely weekend x

• SarahJChristie 29th September 2018 / 9:23 am

Ah thank you, it would look so amazing with Pink Cup Cakes! And yes he has had a fab birthday although he is giddy for today I would have loved to give Charly a home he is such a sweetie, I cant stop thinking about him. Actually its quite different to a slow cooker as pressure cookers cook quickly, I have to say it is fab so far and keeps in all the flavour x

3. 28th September 2018 / 7:43 pm

Hooray for teenagers. Happy birthday to Joe. I hope he has a fab sleepover and fun go carting. The cake looks fab!
    Ahh! My mam always used to use a pressure cooker to cook with many, many years ago. The chocolate cake sounds interesting.

• SarahJChristie 29th September 2018 / 9:24 am

Ah thanks Kim, he is excited , I had never used one until now but its fantastic I cant wait to try more x

4. 29th September 2018 / 7:51 am

Happy birthday to Joe! What a wonderful cupcake tower, it looks so good! Birthdays should definitely be spread over several days and celebrations, we’ve got that going on here right now with my daughter. Have a fab week, lots of exciting plans x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

• SarahJChristie 29th September 2018 / 10:03 am

Ah you are the same we love a great birthday celebration, have a fab week my lovely x

5. 29th September 2018 / 9:23 am

Happy birthday to Joe! That cupcake tower looks amazing. Afternoon tea at the Ivy sounds blissful. That poor little cat – he does have such an adorable face, no wonder you have fallen in love with him. Glad you were able to help him. #WotW

• SarahJChristie 29th September 2018 / 10:10 am

Ah thanks Louise it tasted pretty good too. Any yes it was incredible felt like such a treat. Ah Louise he has such a personality so cheeky it was like he chose me to save him for which I feel honoured but omg I so want to keep him x

6. 3rd October 2018 / 1:35 pm

Sounds like a fabulous week filled with cake. I’d love someone to make me that cupcake tower! Might just make myself one and devour it while the Mr’s away! I remember my mum having a pressure cooker when I was younger, I was always frightened it would explode. I’d love one though. That recipe you cooked from your new book looks fab. I can never make a decent Chinese dish so don’t bother anymore – I revert to ringing a takeaway instead. Hope you had a great weekend x

• SarahJChristie 3rd October 2018 / 9:38 pm

Kat the pressure cooker is blooming amazing I cant stop using it its so easy to use. And yes i did keep dipping into the cupcake tower myself. You need to get the book its so easy to follow and the food was amazing x

7. 3rd October 2018 / 9:51 pm

What a great cupcake tower, I love this idea for a cake! I’ve never used a pressure cooker before, I look forward to seeing what you create with it. Have a lovely week x

8. 7th October 2018 / 5:10 pm

That cupcake tower is ??. Sounds like a great week gone by and one to look forward to ahead. I hope you’ve had a lovely weekend and that you managed to grab some photos x