My Weekly Round Up, Little Loves And Teenagers!

It’s been two weeks since my last round-up. I think that is because last week I felt a little to overwhelmed to write it.

We have such a happy family life, are all happy in our own little family bubble. The boys are well-behaved within reason. (They are teenagers, its impossible for them to be chilled and happy all the time) Generally if anything slightly negative happens we can control it. Nip it in the bud, look at the positives as move on. Because that is how I see the world, very black and white. If it doesn’t work, control the situation and move on.

And then Joe started High School. I think the alarm bells were there during summer school. But he was making friends and happy. He still is happy. But I am not! Now this is a school that we fought to get him in, that Jack loved. That has an excellent reputation. But this year something is not right and I can’t put my finger on it. And I honestly think if that if Joe stays in the class he is in he will not thrive educationally.

We have spoken to school who are saying all the right things, but not much action so far. Leaving me feeling totally out of control of the situation. I know we can’t protect our children all of their lives. They have to learn to analyse people and make the right choices and I feel that Joe is doing that now. But it has taken him a while to adapt to his environment.

Read

Do you know what the biggest shocker for me has been? Social media OMG, I know the dangers it’s my job. But some parents seem oblivious. The stuff I have seen 12-year-old kids saying and doing in the last week is awful. Leaving your kids to roam free on social media is like letting them roam free in the roughest town at midnight. The Internet is more dangerous.

And yet so many parents are letting their kids have total freedom. I know it’s harder having control and monitoring the situation but it’s a must in this day and age. And I urge you check your kids phones and social accounts.

For us it’s all sortable but a blip that us parents should talk about rather that pretending life is perfect. That way we can support each other. Life is about learning what’s good for us and what is not, we have to encourage our children through that. Not throw them to the wolves and hope it turns out right. I suppose much in the same way we can’t keep them in ivory towers.

Watched

Stand up to Cancer; it is honestly one of the most heart-breaking programmes I have ever watched. Watching the beautiful Cowley family go through the last year has been awful for anyone around them. But the programme they made with CH4 put you in their shoes. I have never seen such resolve and bravery from all three of the people followed during the programme, including Becky’s husband Chris. It just makes you want to hug your family that bit tighter. And hope that a cure is found in our children’s lifetime.

I also head down to London with the lovely Colette to visit the Xbox loft and see the new Xbox One X. Our mission was to find out how family friendly the console is and check out the family friendly Xbox games. There are quite a few fantastic family friendly games and there are so many ways it can be used in the home as a family. Its a great way to get the whole family involved an insight into how internet savvy kids and teens are.

The Xbox One X

Wore

My new boots, oh they are so comfortable. I love them and had a wonderful day wandering London with them and my Camera; it took me ages to choose the colour, there is so much choice. But I am thrilled with them. Check out my little competition to win a pair here.

Comfy shoes for city breaks

Testing Wolkyshop boots

Wandering in London

Made

This week I shared my very first Christmas post and built and decorated a white Christmas tree. I felt so brave ha ha! I have never chosen and white tree before and I love it. It’s so pretty. You could argue it’s a little early for Christmas but it’s all in the planning. I also nipped to Booths to get the Christmas dinner book, but we can’t decided it all looks so good.

Blue and white christmas baubles www.extraordinarychaos.com

Heard

I have fallen a bit in love with Gregory Porter, his voice is just beautiful and maybe he fits in a bit with feeling all autumnal at the moment. I love this time of year, roast dinners and family walks and he fits right in there with the seasonal vibe.

Tried

I have also been trying out Philosophy bath, shower gels  and perfume. They are so lovely so nice to use. My favourite being Baby Grace, they are all lovely but that is my absolute favourite it smells delicious, closely followed by Amazing Grace.

Philosophy Bath and shower Gel

This weekend we are having a quiet family weekend as next week is going to be manic with a trip to the theatre and then I am off to Lanzarote for a couple of nights next weekend. Arghh I am so excited. Have a great weekend whatever you are up too!

A Quick Catch Up, My Weekly Round Up

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

Little Loves Coffee Work Sleep Repeat

1. 5th November 2017 / 12:25 pm

It must be so hard to walk that line between protecting your kids and letting them figure things out for themselves. I do hope that the situation improves soon for you, I think it’s positive that you’re on to it already and taking steps to support and resolve. Sounds like a lovely trip to London, enjoy the theatre and Lanzarote! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

5th November 2017 / 6:04 pm

Oh it is Jocelyn and harder at the moment but hopefully School will support my opinion and it all improves, I think the stressful is its Joe’s future and I don’t want that affected by other kids behaviour x

2. 5th November 2017 / 4:09 pm

Navigating teen waters is no easy thing, you just want to carry on protecting them from all the bad in the world like you did when they were small don’t you. Once my daughter went to high school it was a nightmare, Facebook certainly has a lot to answer for. I hope you can resolve the problem and Joe can have an easier time. I saw the tree on your insta stories it looks amazing. Have a wonderful trip next week, perfect escape from this chilly weather x x

5th November 2017 / 6:06 pm

You are so right Angela, its harder as they grow harder isn’t it? They have to develop their judgment and you have to support that its such a vital time, and aw thanks I love that tree its so pretty x

3. 5th November 2017 / 8:58 pm

It sounds like a tough time- I do hope things are resolved with the school quickly. I’m glad you’ve found your Little Loves- and I am loving your boots and your Christmas decorations! I was completely with you on Chris’s story, the documentary completely broke me- it’s good to hear it’s raised so much awareness and funds. x

6th November 2017 / 9:09 pm

Ah thank you Debbie, I think it will resolve itself, its hard trying to guide without taking over, the boots are so comfy and yes Chris is just amazing isn’t he what an inspiration for others so hard to watch a family suffer like that x

4. 5th November 2017 / 9:07 pm

Hope you get the school issue sorted out Sarah – wishing you all the luck. Cant even imagine what the teenage years must be like to manage as a parent, so tough. You’re doing great. Love the boots and reading about what you’ve been up to 🙂 xx

6th November 2017 / 9:10 pm

Ah thanks Jess, it seems to have been better today so fingers crossed, and yes teenage years are hard! But wonderful all at the same time xx

5. 5th November 2017 / 10:17 pm

I hope you manage to find some resolve with your son’s school, that doesn’t sound good at all! Your trip to London looked great! Nice tiles!

6th November 2017 / 9:12 pm

Ah thanks Donna so do I although hopefully this term will be better and yes aren’t the tiles pretty x

6. 6th November 2017 / 8:10 am

It’s such a shame when this happens after everything seems good. I’m actually nervous reading this as we’ll have a new school start in September too, and who knows what kind of situation we’ll get? Fingers crossed you manage to get things sorted out for Joe x

6th November 2017 / 9:13 pm

Ah thanks Helen, it will sort itself out one way or another, even if we move him but hopefully this term will be better x

7. 6th November 2017 / 2:50 pm

It is a tough one. I moved one of mine after the first year. Much happier in a school that does not allow phones. My older two are teens and we talk to them lots about social media, and I read between the lines too. They’ve been brought up with all the scare stories, as we are both in IT. I don’t check, unless they show me. I know others do, but for me it is a trust thing. I think it will be different for my youngest, as he pushes the boundaries. I will be checking. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Sounds exciting. #wotw

6th November 2017 / 9:17 pm

it is isn’t it, I never checked Jack but Joe definitely got a bit giddy with all that freedom and its more to protect him from some of the inappropriate things some other kids are saying and doing. Although I pleased to say he has totally stepped away from it now as we decided we had to trust him to make decisions himself x

8. 7th November 2017 / 10:54 am

Eek! My oldest is nearly ten and I have to admit I’m not looking forward to the teenage years! It seems very different from when I was a teenager (many moons ago) at least we didn’t have the pressures of social media to contend with!

7th November 2017 / 9:36 pm

It is so different isn’t it, it was so much easier without social media, I will most certainly be monitoring it x

9. 7th November 2017 / 1:37 pm

Hope that you manage to move forward with the school on your concerns with Joe. Social media is such a minefield. I am glad that my two are too young yet for it to be a worry but it’s definitely something I will be keeping a close eye on. Hope you have a good week x #WotW

7th November 2017 / 9:46 pm

Ah thanks Louise he seems to be having a much more positive week, sending all my love for you this week x

10. 9th November 2017 / 2:12 pm

Oh Sarah I didn’t realise things had been tough, I do hope they get easier for him and you. I hope things start to improve. I love your boots and those christmas decorations. You got me feeling all festive x

11. 9th November 2017 / 5:10 pm

I totally ‘get’ where you’re coming from with the teenagers, I’ve never felt so out of my depth with regard to parenting. Under 10s were a walk in the park by comparison! I think mostly it’s the not knowing what’s going on and yes, I’ve always been incredible vigilant with regard to social media and my kids but I’m not stupid enough to think that they aren’t doing things behind my back that I know nothing about! Off to read your Christmas decs post. A white tree? I’d never thought of getting one but now I think our garden room definitely needs it’s very own tree!

12. 9th November 2017 / 8:17 pm

Oh gosh I’m so with you on the kids and the internet thing. When I was in parenting support for social services I would visit parents with teens and we’d chat about the internet and being safe online and most would say ‘Oh I don’t need to worry about that kind of thing. I trust them’ Massive face palm!
    I hope you see the progress from school that you’re looking for and things settle for Joe. xx