My Weekly Round Up and Experimenting

Wow I feel like this week has been a blur, I have been so focused on a couple of tasks, they have consumed all my thoughts. I have tried out different ideas but am pleased with what I have achieved, and have learnt lots, especially in my photography course.

I have practiced altering my ISO settings at home and have been so pleased with the results, as I said before I have always pointed and shot then edited after. These photos below are unedited, but taken one after the other. From a slightly different angle. The darker one is on auto, the lighter I have upped the IOS. I am so pleased with the results.  Yes, it will still need editing but I am getting now how to change settings to counteract light.

My Weekly Round up and Experimenting

My Weekly Round up and Experimenting

We looked at movement again this week, and again looked a shutter speed and the impact it has on your photography, it really is fascinating what you can do with a camera. I was using mine like my iPhone before, which has a fab camera on it. But you can do so much more with a camera if you understand the settings. I am still getting my head around it all, but it is all blowing my mind a little.

Of course there are times when you have to rely on auto, when you are traveling and just haven’t got the time to mess. But I feel I am now gaining a tiny bit more confidence to be able to quickly alter a setting and take a risk.

When our tutor was talking about creating movement, and I was thinking but why would you? However my mind-set has completely changed, it actually looks fab in a home styling shot, or a museum if the subject is blurred, then the focus is on the home, how clever.

My Weekly Round up and Experimenting

My Weekly Round up and Experimenting

And sports shots, to create a trail on the movement, for example on a bike or car, actually says more about what is going on than capturing the subject perfectly still. Am I turning into a geek? Honestly it fascinates me. So I have been messing, I have had poor old Joe up and down walking slow, fast and running to see what works and what doesn’t. He is quite a willing subject, and as a thank you for all his help and a reward for getting the merit as school, and Jack getting a great report. I have rewarded them with Dynamo tickets, I love Dynamo so can’t wait.

My Weekly Round up and Experimenting

This photo was taken on a long exposure with a torch, Joe loved it, but how spooky it that? And wow 2 Joe’s eeek.

And my last thought is, photography is reducing my food willpower. I can quite easily walk past a packet of delicious donuts and not buy them, they are to fattening, more of a treat. But this week I bought a pack of donuts because they are pretty and I wanted to photograph them. What is happening to me?

When I took the photograph the donut was calling to me, fortunately Joe is like a locust, he swooped down and stole 3/4 the donut off my plate and saved me from eating said donut. Kids are so handy during a food crisis like this. I can always rely on our two during such testing times. And whilst stealing is something we would never condone, stealing food in the home of parents that constantly need to watch their weight is actively encouraged.

My Weekly Round up and Experimenting

I can see how people get addicted to photographing food, and looking at my Instagram feed I am not as healthy as I like to think ha ha. I have so much to learn, but am so enjoying learning it all. With the help of my gorgeous A Beautiful Mess, Photo Book which I would thoroughly recommend, it has the best tips, that are so obvious at time, but so clever. I am slowly improving my skills.

My Weekly Round up and Experimenting

Next week we are off on a Q Hop, we are so excited, they always have lots of fun stuff planned for us, it is always like going into the unknown, but always incredible. Have a great half term everyone; I will see you on the other side.

What Katy Said

1. 13th February 2016 / 12:56 pm

It’s brilliant you have Joe over there as a willing subject, helping you test different methods 🙂 photography is a really addictive hobby, I love it too, and it is a great feeling when you learn a new trick :

13th February 2016 / 7:13 pm

I know I have been so giddy about it all, and yes Joe has loved helping out bless him x

2. 13th February 2016 / 1:00 pm

It is all so fascinating and I love how enthusiastic you are about it. I wouldn’t have thought about movement either, but it clearly does work – fab photos! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

13th February 2016 / 7:14 pm

Thank you, I know movement is fascinating there is so much too it x

3. 13th February 2016 / 1:09 pm

The course sounds fab and like you are really benefitting from it. I love the movement shot it really does bring out the background. #HappyDays
    Debbie

13th February 2016 / 7:15 pm

Thanks Debbie it is such a great course, I know I would have never thought of this but now I cant wait to test it out in a museum, or gallery x

4. 13th February 2016 / 3:00 pm

It’s fun experimenting with different settings on cameras and finding out what effects you can achieve – your post has made me realise that I should really try doing it a little more often rather than sticking to my ‘comfort settings’. Love your enthusiasm for experimenting with your photography too 🙂 #HappyDaysLinky

13th February 2016 / 7:16 pm

Louise sometimes it takes someone else to force you out of your comfort zone doesn’t it?I am having so much fu doing things I would have never tried x

5. 13th February 2016 / 4:08 pm

Get you , Mrs Photo Geek!!! Your enthusiasm is bouncing off the page. I love creative hobbies. They’re a fantastic escape.

13th February 2016 / 7:17 pm

Ha ha thank you, I know Rachel I do too, I am such a creative person and I think this has taken the place of teaching hair and I love it xx

6. 13th February 2016 / 9:05 pm

Love how you have thrown yourself into your photography course Sarah and sounds as if you are learning so much. Had to laugh about the donuts,wanting to photograph them and not eat them. Looks as if Joe is making a fab photography assistant. Have an amazing Q getaway xx

14th February 2016 / 12:38 pm

Tracey I am, and I am getting a little braver, but still have so much to learn, I just love learning something new, and grr yes those donuts, it was so hard not to eat them x

7. 13th February 2016 / 11:23 pm

Well apart from the foreign language you are speaking, it is good to know you are enjoying learning more and I wish I could find time to do the same on photography as I am pretty clueless. Have a great Half-Term – lovely when the children help with your passions

14th February 2016 / 12:39 pm

Thanks Kate, yes I was too, but it is only 2 hours a week and an investment in time that is so worth it xx

8. 16th February 2016 / 4:05 pm

I find photography so faciabtin and often buy things to get a shot. Sprinkle doughnuts are perfect for that! I’m much more an iPhone girl though. I definitely should learn to use my camera a lot more!

18th February 2016 / 9:10 pm

I was to Tas, but my course has made me use my camera much more and I am loving it x

9. 19th February 2016 / 7:03 pm

Love love love this Sarah! I love how much you are loving photography and this post has made me want to take some blurry shots now!! Thank you so much for joining in #HappyDaysLinky x

20th February 2016 / 11:51 am

Thanks Kate, I know I am truing not a geek ha ha, but I am loving the blurry shots x

10. 19th February 2016 / 8:23 pm

I always look forward to reading these photography posts of yours, as I have read a lot but struggle to put it into practice. Your posts help me make sense of it all! I want to practice more with the ISO settings. I feel confident with aperture (who doesn’t) but am stuck in aperture priory mode as I haven’t got my head around the rest. Perhaps I’ll play with shutter speed instead, as I love the blurry photo! Ooh and thanks for linking up to #HappyDaysLinky x

20th February 2016 / 11:54 am

Ah thanks Sian, I am learning so much my teacher is incredible, I think as a blogger the artistic stuff is trial and error, its the technical knowledge I need x