10 Benefits Of Buying A New Build Property

In our 24 years together Chris and I have moved more times than I care to remember. We tend to stay in a home for 3-5 years and then it starts, the urge to move on. In that time we have lived in brand new homes and very old homes that need complete renovation. So when the lovely people from New Home Finder asked me my thoughts on the benefits of buying a new home, I had a list in seconds.

10 Benefits Of Buying A New Build Property

Images courtesy of New Home Finder

1. If you buy at an early stage or a development you get to choose not only the style of house but also the plot. We have bought 2 new homes off plan over the years and were lucky enough to be able to choose the plots with larger south-facing gardens.
  2. Again reserve early and you are able to choose all the fixtures and fitting. My favourite part of buying a new home is choosing the kitchen, bathroom, tiles and carpets. In our current home although the kitchen was new it was not my choice, but it’s too new to change. In our new homes I got to choose exactly what I wanted.
  3. Moving in to a never used before home is just amazing, it feels so clean and of course new. When we moved into our current home I cried it was so dirty, I had to get cleaners in as we moved on Friday and I was at work on Monday.
  4. You have a 25-year NHBC warranty in case anything structural does go wrong, any problems you simply call your developer and they arrange to repair it. You do not have this with an old home.
  5. If you have problems with the fixtures and fittings your developer will put it right. In fact all of our kitchen cupboard doors needed refitted shortly after moving in to our current home, the screws were too short so they kept falling off. (I know stress) that was all done at our cost; in a new home we would have referred this to the developer who would have sorted the problem. Although it probably would not have happened in a new build.
  6. The sense of community is wonderful when you move onto a new development. All the neighbours are new,  it is easy getting to know each other as you are all in the same boat. We have met some wonderful friends through being neighbours on a new development.
  7. A new home is a blank canvas, no matter what home you buy you change it, fact. We have change every home we have ever lived in, even the ones that were completely renovated and we paid a premium for. With a new home you move in and it is all white or magnolia and you get to choose exactly what colour scheme and light fitting you put into every room.
  8. This applies to the garden too, we once moved into an old home with a large garden that was filled with the largest garage ever, it cost a fortune to remove. Our current home had a large shed on the decking that obscured our view from the kitchen. Have you any idea how much it costs to lay foundations on a sloping garden and move a shed?  No, we never either until after!
  9. New homes are energy-efficient and cheaper to run, they are insulated to current laws, and the windows have to meet strict standards to save on fuel bills. And they generally have a great WiFi connection too. This is huge when you have teenagers. We live in an area where the WiFi is horrific, Jack moans about it every day. Streaming a film is not an option where we live now.
  10. And lastly, this is purely self-indulgent, but buying a new home is so exciting. I loved making mood boards and choosing colours for rooms, leafing through interiors magazines to get just the right style for my new home.
10 Benefits Of Buying A New Build Property

Images courtesy of New Home Finder

There are so many benefits to buying a new home; we loved living in both of our new builds. In fact we only moved from the last one because it wasn’t in the catchment area for our chosen school. And will we choose a new build next time we move? I would say most probably, I like to choose every last detail myself, and if I have not chosen it myself then I will eventually want to change it. That is a lesson I have learnt the hard and expensive way.

1. 1st February 2016 / 4:57 pm

Some good points. We could never find a new build that met our needs but didn’t dismiss them either

1st February 2016 / 8:08 pm

Thanks Leyla, I think there is a age and style of home to suit all, we thought our priority was the large garden but in reality all the hours Chris has to dedicate to the garden is such a pain, I miss have en- suites and a utility things our older home does not have x

2. 1st February 2016 / 7:47 pm

We live in a new build and love it for all the reasons you mention. It’s particularly great whilst the boys are so small as there’s so little maintenance and DIY other than cosmetic issues. That said, I’d love a house with a bit more character. I guess that’s the trade-off.

1st February 2016 / 8:10 pm

I know its a tough one, we still have so much to do here, I love our little house but it is so high maintenance, we need a new drive, I don’t like the style of the windows and it is so dusty (thats the fire I know). I do love it so much, but I often long for all the benefits that come with a new home, and I miss my ensuite and utility x

3. 2nd February 2016 / 12:58 pm

Wow Sarah I don’t think I could cope with moving every 3-5 years, but then I suppose you get to try out lots of different homes. We have been in our house for 15 years now, and prior to this I lived in a new build flat which I bought when I was 21. Like you I loved buying a brand new build, and I had so much fun putting my stamp on it. Though terracotta walls were all the rage back then x

2nd February 2016 / 10:08 pm

Ha ha I remember the Terracotta trend too, dont get me wrong I love our house, but living here has never been easy, it has been like a money pitt. We have gradually done things properly and greeting them how we want it, it has cost a fortune and we are still not there yet x

4. 7th March 2016 / 7:39 pm

I do like the thought of a new build, but don’t know that is what my husband and I will end up with.. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

5. Stacy Hill
    15th March 2016 / 2:47 pm

There are definitely countless benefits of owning a property! You can do so much with and it is a great investment. Me and my family have moved two times and we always had to do renovation, or had to change the decor… I wonder what would it be to build a house just for us! It must be fun. Thanks for the post! 🙂

15th March 2016 / 10:16 pm

That would be fab wouldn’t it, exactly how you want it I would love that x

6. 10th April 2016 / 4:02 am

Our home is old too and I wanted to cry when we moved in because it was so dirty. It’s harder to keep clean too then a newer home. I’d love to move but it would be hard to get our big garden again.

7. 21st November 2016 / 2:44 pm

I agree with all your points, I’m currently renting a new build at the moment and I love all the added extras! Especially the modern decor and finishing touches!