The Northern Lights, And New Years Resolutions

Iceland and seeing the Northern Lights is right up there at the top of our travel wish list. It is somewhere we have wanted to visit forever. Yet also somewhere I have never got around to booking. I think it is time Iceland goes onto a New Years resolution list.

Northern Lights from HD Wallpaperscool.com

I am quite good at keeping resolutions, I feel once they are there immortalised on a list I mentally work towards them, I love a list. I will be writing my list very soon and Iceland is going on it. I am not sure exactly what the pull is; maybe it’s the thought of all of us wrapping up warm, mulled wine, snow and watching the Northern Lights reflecting on the snow around us. It all sounds so magical doesn’t it?

It is somewhere we have wanted to visit since we first got married, and nothing has stopped us visiting, apart from possibly chasing the sun. I think throughout our younger years, back when we only had 4-week holiday per year, with parents living at separate ends of the country. We tried to split our times between family, decorating and 1 holiday a year.

When I look back, yes we had a wonderful time, but we could have crammed so much more in. When you are younger with no ties you genuinely believe you are busy? Ha ha looking back busy doing what? Yes, we had the freedom to go out for dinner when we felt like it, or just nip to France shopping on a Sunday. Blimey do you remember when you could sail to France for a pound, it was incredible. Can you still do that now? Or just nip to Covent Garden on a Sunday to drink wine and people watch, ah happy memories.

Aurora 1For now I have this great little gadget from Brainstorm Toys, The Aurora, Northern and Southern Lights Projector brings the Northern/Southern lights to you. At first I was a bit skeptical, but it really is a captivating little gadget. Once you start watching it, it really relaxes you and you can’t stop watching it.

I have to say Joe has claimed this, and sometimes puts it on whilst he is in bed. It really is the ultimate relation toy. And lets face it there are not many of those about. But it has also made him very curious about the Northern Lights. He wants to visit this phenomenon himself.  I think seeing must be believing, but I love the fact that a great educational toy has given him the desire to travel and see a natural wonder. And fortunately there is also a leaflet in the box answering some of the questions Joe had about Aurora’s, that I would have most definitely had too Google

Follow Sarah Christie’s board Northern Lights on Pinterest.

1. 14th December 2015 / 8:34 pm

I can imagine that is so relaxing and hypnotic to watch. I definitely think seeing is believing when it comes to the Northern Lights. They look so incredible in pictures so can only imagine how amazing they are watching them in real life. Hopefully you will get to experience them one day xx

14th December 2015 / 8:42 pm

Ah thank you Tracey, yes I really hope so, I am going to be a little pro active and book it x

2. 14th December 2015 / 9:16 pm

This is the absolute top of my bucket list. Not necessarily Iceland but to go and see the aurora one day. My friend went to Iceland recently — she sent me some amazing pics but no Northern Lights sadly. I think I’d cry like a baby if I ever saw them properly!! xx

15th December 2015 / 7:52 pm

I know it must be incredible to be that a experience it. I would be so disappointed if you get there and didn’t get to see them x

3. 15th December 2015 / 9:41 am

Iceland is fantastic, I had such a wonderful time there – although I still haven’t seen the Northern Lights! We went on a spotting tour one night with no luck, then were too tired to go again the next night (when they came out, inevitably) then it rained the next… Technically I did see them in Lapland but they looked like little wispy clouds and I’m not counting it until I get the full swirly green and ethereal colours.

15th December 2015 / 7:55 pm

Cathy I am dying to see them, I bet they are incredible it must feel amazing to witness x

4. 15th December 2015 / 4:50 pm

We were lucky enough to see the Northern Lights when we were in Iceland and they are every bit as magical as you imagine. The toy looks fab too, can you justify them for your own room…

15th December 2015 / 7:56 pm

Ha ha I could sneak it out of Joe’s room, in fact I can picture it now a glass of wine sat in bed watching the northern lights how relaxing x

5. 16th December 2015 / 1:03 am

You’re so lucky to have Europe on your doorstep – to be able to sail to France for a pound (or any price!) sounds like a dream to me over here in NZ. I’ll have to get myself one these Northern Lights projectors, it may be the closest I ever get to the real thing! We do sometimes see the Southern Lights here but only if you’re very lucky and I haven’t yet.

16th December 2015 / 8:10 pm

Robyn this sounds perfect for you until you get there for real. Yes we are so lucky in the UK there are so many great places to visit, but I bet no matter where you live there is x

6. 16th December 2015 / 9:49 am

Me too! Could imagine how amazing and wonderful it is! Never been to this part of the world before but would love to. Jess xx

16th December 2015 / 8:15 pm

I know Jess me too, I bet is it incredible x

7. 16th December 2015 / 1:51 pm

Oh I would love to see the Northern Lights…I’ve always dreamed of seeing it in Norway though, but Iceland is somewhere I would love to see too. I think a lot of these destinations are way in the future for us but I can still dream. I really hope you make it this year and I would love the little projector, must be so relaxing xx

16th December 2015 / 8:16 pm

It is Hayley, and yes you have it all to look forward too with the boys, it will fab experiencing all of this with them x