Cropping and Sizing Images in WordPress, for Newby Bloggers

Cropping and sizing images in WordPress is something I only learnt how to do last week, mmm a bit behind with the times here. I thought it might be a great tip to share with my newby blogger friends. It is great if you want to quickly edit photo’s.

I love pic monkey, it is fab but sometimes I am happy with a photo, I don’t want to add a filter, or edit.  Just a simple resize and crop will do.

I took this photo this morning and I  want to quickly crop and resize it.

IMG_7156

Click add media and add photo, then click on edit original.

photo edi 1

Then click on scale image. Resize your largest dimension to 998 and click scale.

photo edit 2I only recently learnt that resizing my photo’s will help my blog load quicker, I also read on a forum that some people click off a blog if it takes too long  to load. This sent me into a panic as I knew some of my photos were large, so could cause an issue.

I had been making my images  smaller to combat this rather than resizing, so they were not looking as good as they could have.

Next, right-click on your image and highlight the area you want to crop. What I love about this is that you  can play about with the area and keep changing it until you are happy. Once you are happy, press the crop icon in the top corner and press save.

photo edit 3

Lastly choose the image size as you want it to appear on your blog. I am finding I can use nice big images now and it doesn’t affect the load time of my page.
photo edit 4

Here is my newly cropped image, which took my about 1 minute to do. It has also affected the loading time of my blog,  which is loading much quicker.

I have so much to learn about photography, lighting and capturing images, but I suppose Rome want built-in a day. And I am loving learning new skills.

IMG_7156

1. 1st May 2015 / 5:17 pm

Hi – that’s really useful. I use PicMonkey but also didn’t realise you could simply crop in WordPress so thanks for that top tip. I’ll be doing that next time I’m looking to up-load a pic that is fine apart from the size of the image.
    Sammy x

1st May 2015 / 8:24 pm

Thanks Sammy, I am so glad it has helped, I cant believe I only discovered this last week its so simple x

2. 1st May 2015 / 9:44 pm

I didn’t know how to do this either so thank you! I have to be honest I never really resize my photos though I know I really should! X

1st May 2015 / 9:54 pm

Thank Julia, yes its not obvious is it, I sort of stumbled across it by accident. I have only just started re sizing as I started to get loading issues x

3. 2nd May 2015 / 8:54 am

This is brilliant! I need to sort my pictures out too but feel there it too much to learn, but little bite size bits like this are ideal for a dumbo like me. I am off to sort me Sunday photo. Thanks Sarah xx

2nd May 2015 / 8:49 pm

Ha ha you are not a Dumbo, I only learn last week, but it has made a difference already on posts loading up x

4. 2nd May 2015 / 8:13 pm

great tips sarah very useful i didn’t know it could slow loading time either am definitely going to follow this from now on! xx

2nd May 2015 / 8:59 pm

Thanks Amy, I know and its so simple to do xx

5. 4th May 2015 / 4:47 pm

This is fantastic Sarah. How did I not know about this ! Great step by step guide for a technophobe like me xx

4th May 2015 / 8:36 pm

Ah thank you Tracey, but I only discovered recently x

6. 6th May 2015 / 3:20 pm

My OH is always telling me off about the size of my images. I need to get better at this so thanks for the great tips! I’ll be coming back to this post again x

6th May 2015 / 9:42 pm

Thank you Zena, it has made quite a bit of difference to my loading speed x