Ten Ways NOT to Deal With A Hypo! And I Have Done Them All!

Learning how to deal with Type 1 Diabetes is a real learning curve, one that I am still on. I have made some silly mistakes. Some, on reflection, absolutely ridiculous mistakes. But as I am totally comfortable with my non-perfectness. I am willing to share them so others can learn from my mistakes.

However when you start reading, I know you will think; No-one is that stupid, or as if you would do that? It’s amazing what you do in panic mode.

So here goes, don’t judge me or call child-line, I do genuinely do my best and most days do very well.

But here are my; Top mistakes, when dealing with hypo’s

1. Do not throw your purse at the shop assistant, say I will be back in a minute grab a Mars bar and run out.(I think I scared the living daylights out of the Man in the shop)
  2. Food is not the best thing for aHypo, mars bars don’t really help. Get lucozade or full fat coke.
  3. Don’t get offended if the person in the Hypo is rude to you. They can’t help it, being stroppy is definitely a sign that Jacks sugar levels are dropping. It is better to test his sugar, rather than to argue back.
  4. Don’t open the front door to the Tesco delivery man and frantically scream; have you got any lucozade on that van (Again on this occasion, I do believe I frightened the living daylights out of this man.)
  5. Don’t administer a whole bottle of lucozade or glucogel, do it a bit at a time and test at intervals, this way you won’t send them into a Hyper State.
  6. Whilst waiting for sugar levels to rise, DO NOT dance around the lounge singing Viva Las Vegas, god only knows why I did it. Of course it didn’t help, I can’t even sing.
  7. Don’t keep asking them if they feel ok, no they don’t, they feel rubbish, and at this stage you are probably doing their head in.
  8. Don’t panic  I have learnt with experience to keep calm, it is so important to have a level head to deal with it quickly and effectively.
  9. Don’t go out without a supply of snacks and energy drinks, this way a hypo will be totally avoided.
  10. Don’t feel overwhelmed by it, grab diabetes by the horns and control it the best you can. Don’t let it control you.

There you have it, Sarah’s survival guide, on how not to deal with a Hypo. Don’t get me wrong I have had all the best medical support on offer, but as a human you make mistakes!

Those were mine, thankfully I have learnt from then so shop assistants and delivery drivers everywhere are now safe.  I am happy to say and very lucky; that have a very well-balanced Teenager who copes with diabetes just brilliantly.

Mums' Days

1. 5th July 2014 / 10:09 am

This is brilliant sarah, funny and very helpful.

2. 22nd April 2015 / 7:08 pm

Oh goodness I live in fear of doing all of those. Apart from maybe the Viva Las Vegas 🙂

22nd April 2015 / 8:58 pm

Ha ha I know I don’t know what came over me Helen, but all the rest is not as bad once its over and you have coped with it I promise, You learn from your mistakes don’t you, I never go anywhere without lucozade and always have a supply at home x

3. 22nd April 2015 / 9:53 pm

Wow sounds very scary! And yet funny! You’ve been amazing dealing with this – hats off to you! I think I’d be an emotional wreck all the time. I didn’t realise that chocolate bars aren’t best. I really thought that was ideal. Great post and you have made it so readable too xx

22nd April 2015 / 10:15 pm

Thanks Jess, yes I can laugh now I am through it, and do you know what you just get used to it, it is part of my wonderful teen so I have to love it like the rest of him. If I could get a cure I would tomorrow but we live with it well and hope we can continue that x

4. 24th April 2015 / 3:01 pm

Haha fab post Sarah. My mum is terrible on a hypo, she behaves like a naughty little girl and sometimes won’t accept she’s having one and refuses to eat or drink anything! We’ve had to call the ambulance a few times, once when she was naked! A tad embarrassing when she eventually ‘came to’. It must be so tough having a child with diabetes though. As parents we worry anyway but you have even more to worry about. It sounds like you’re brilliant with is though. xx

24th April 2015 / 10:09 pm

Ah thank you, Jack can be exactly the same Tor, so frustrating but he cant help it? But we re lucky haven’t needed an ambulance so far touch wood.

5. 26th April 2015 / 11:45 am

Sounds so scary hon, but I love your sense of humour 🙂

26th April 2015 / 9:04 pm

Ah thank you, to be honest you start to take it all in your stride thank goodness x

26th April 2015 / 9:04 pm

Ah thank you, to be honest you just take it all in your stride thank goodness x

6. 26th April 2015 / 1:00 pm

You certainly sound like you know what you are doing! Great advice and expressed with fab humour too! #thelist

26th April 2015 / 9:05 pm

Thank you, yes we have learnt as we have gone along but nothing is impossible is it, thank goodness x

7. 26th April 2015 / 5:52 pm

Love how you have written this. Fab advice xx #sundaystars

26th April 2015 / 9:08 pm

8. 28th April 2015 / 9:04 pm

I can’t imagine how scary it must be when dealing with a hypo. Fab tips, although the “Viva Las Vegas” moment sounds a bit crazy!

Thanks for joining in with #SundayStars x

28th April 2015 / 10:06 pm

Ha ha Karen I don’t know what came over me I just panicked tried to keep him conscious as if that ever would have helped, fortunately we haven’t had a repeat performance x

9. 30th April 2015 / 5:00 pm

It must be so difficult to cope with diabetes. I remember watching my dad being fed Mars bars when he hypo’d! Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x

30th April 2015 / 10:21 pm

Thanks Aby, yes it was at first but I am getting used to it now, and he does very well x

10. 25th September 2015 / 7:24 am

Hehe I had Gestational diabetes and so many weird hypos. I never got to the stage of screaming at our Tesco man but I did frantically swig cans of Pepsi then shot it through the roof once.

26th September 2015 / 8:00 pm

Its so weird isn’t it, you are not yourself when you have a hypo, but thankfully we have been lucky and caught it every time x