Today I thought I would share a little about my Job, don’t get me wrong its tough, the pressures are huge. But there is an amazing part to my Job, the students. It’s amazing how you build such an amazing relationship of trust with your students, and have the huge responsibility of their whole future in your hands. (Yes so not pressure arghh)
I thought I would share what I love about working as a Hairdressing Tutor.
- I teach level 3 hairdressing, so that means I get to be creative all the time. We get to work on photo shoots, making costumes and avant-garde images out of hair.
- I love how keen my wonderful students are to learn, how they are so excited about improving their skills and being great hairdressers. Yet how terrified they are on induction of what is expected of them, I see the fear in their eyes as they realise the creativity and commitment they will need for the year ahead.
- It is amazing to see how they begin to trust me when they realise that I am as committed to their futures as they are.
- I feel pride as they begin to stand on their own feet, and start to create outstanding hairstyles and colours by themselves, and need less help from me as the week’s progress.
- They then begin to develop an air of self-confidence that makes me smile, it is amazing how by this stage they are unrecognisable from the person that told me in September they were not confident to complete a colour correction or re-style alone. Now they don’t bat an eyelid, they know exactly what to do.
- I love watching my students decide on the path ahead of them, deciding how they want to use their creativity and skills.
- I get to help them choose exciting careers, and apply to University for amazing courses and incredible jobs such as theatrical media and make-up and working on cruise ships.
- I dread the end of the year, I feel so proud that they are leaving going their own way. Yet sad my little work family is flying the nest.
- I watch them from afar, loving university, building busy salon clienteles, opening their own salons and traveling the world on Cruise ships.
- Then I feel such pride when they return to visit me, to meet my new students to tell them about the world out there and the great careers ahead of them if they can work hard and study.