Football is For Families

Growing up football was never a massive thing in my family, when I say that everyone seemed to have a team. Growing up in Essex most people supported West Ham at the time and a few supported Chelsea. But I can never remember any of my relatives going on a football match.

In the 80s football violence was terrible and you used to see it on the news, people on the pitch and fighting.  So no you were never ever getting me on football match.

IMG_5003.JPG

Then I moved to Burnley and couldn’t believe it, I had moved to a town of football hooligans, well they had to be? They all had season tickets. In Burnley football is more of a religion, a way of life to some. They are so, so passionate about football and their team. Clearly they were all mad, I mean why would you. Then I met Chris and couldn’t believe he too was a total fanatic, I realised Burnley Football Club would always be part of my Life.

I went on to have two wonderful Boys, so no ballet for me just football, football and more football. Now I am not being stereotypical in any way because they were boys. Yet the passion seems to be in their blood arghhh.

So here I am surrounded by blooming football, they have offered me a season ticket but I told them don’t be ridiculous, football matches are full of hooligans and definitely not for me.

Then a couple of weeks ago Chris had to go to Finland on business. Between themselves, without consulting me they arranged that I would take them on the match. I mean come on, I don’t do football is no one listening. Yet apparently it had been arranged Granddad was busy so it had to be me!

IMG_4985.JPG

I was quite worried I have to say, I mean I have built these hooligans up in my head all of my life, Chris had told me it was safe. And of course I wouldn’t have allowed the Boys to go if I didn’t believe that. But I had still avoided it like the plague.

So you can imagine my surprise when I loved it! Yes you read right I loved the Burnley match; all the people we came into contact with were lovely. As we walked around the outside of the Turf (Ha ha get me football speak) there were grown men getting their photos taken with Bertie Bee the Burnley mascot. And do you know what? I wanted a picture of the Boys for my blog and they were lovely, moved out-of-the-way so the boys could get their photo done.

IMG_4978.JPG

At one stage I was trying to take a photo and a man stopped me and told me how to get a better perspective. The man we sat next to was lovely. And yes there was some low-level swearing but nothing aggressive. I can honestly say to all those people like me who were scarred by images of 80s media that football is great it is friendly and fun.

It was wonderful to watch the Boys pride on their faces as they told me how it all worked and had to keep explaining what was going on. And I knew I loved it when I jumped out of my seat when they scored. At times my heart was in my mouth, when they or the other team nearly scored.I felt totally safe at all times.

There were lots of families, everybody there for one thing to support their team and have a great time. So if like me you are resisting, give it a go it actually is very exciting and a fab family afternoon. If you are anything like me, you may find yourself following the scores after. But Chris and the Boys just in case you do read this, it does not mean I want a Burnley shirt. I draw the line there.I will wear a bobble hat but that is it.

But yes you were right all along football is for families.And it’s not that Northerners are hooligans, just that my family are fair weather supporters, sofa fans and there is nothing wrong with that.  But you really do have to go on  a match to feel the atmosphere, at least once. The problem there is once you go, you will want to go back again and again.

th_Country_Kids_badge_transparent

1. 10th January 2015 / 10:48 am

I am from a football family – my dad & brother play(ed) and we all have season tickets to watch our fave team!! ????

My other half is also from a football family but he goes to watch his team with his friends.

We expect our little one to enjoy football because of this but I guess you never know!! They might hate it because of us haha.

We also support separate teams so who will our little one support?? Will they support a whole other team (one we particularly dislike)!! Oh dear, there are so many questions and we are just going to have to wait and see ????????????????

10th January 2015 / 9:24 pm

Well if they are like mine they will be football mad, i really never stood a chance x

2. 10th January 2015 / 9:23 pm

Gorgeous photos of your lovely boys! Wow, what a great day out! I’ve been to quite a few matches (as a good friend is a WAG!) and so we’ve been to a few games together. I love it. Great atmosphere and loads of fun! Good on you Sarah!! Jess x

10th January 2015 / 10:25 pm

Thanks Jess, yes i was surprised how much I liked it, the atmosphere was just fab x

3. 11th January 2015 / 1:47 pm

I always had the same impression Sarah but I have been to a couple of matches and I totally agree with you. The atmosphere is fab isn’t it? I wouldn’t like to go to a match between the rival teams as there can be trouble but on the whole football is a great family sport x

11th January 2015 / 8:28 pm

Yes it is great fun, when I went on yesterday I felt so excited ha ha x

4. 11th January 2015 / 8:40 pm

ahh you’ll have your season ticket ready for next season! my partner is a huggeee southampton fan and even dressed my little baby girl in a saints vest when she was younger poor thing! He wants us all to go the the family days they have, there a little young but ill definitely consider it next year x

11th January 2015 / 9:37 pm

Do you know I would if I had time, but I couldn’t commit to every 2 weeks, I get to blog when they are all on the football. But will look forward to going on occasionally x

5. 13th January 2015 / 8:20 pm

I love that you LOVED it. Burnley were always Rochdale AFC’s arch enemies when I was growing up. Total opposite here. I am not a ballet fan and think I will have to go soon!

13th January 2015 / 9:34 pm

Thanks Karen, we will have to swap one week I would love to go to the Ballet x

6. 17th January 2015 / 8:27 pm

How funny, I can totally understand everything you say here. I have just taken mine to their first match today as arranged by our local village team and I enjoyed it too, I’m still shivering from the cold but the atmosphere is amazing and the kids couldn’t have been more excited. Football is definitely a family game and I wouldn’t mind going back again either. Thank you for sharing on Country Kids and look out for my matching post to follow!

18th January 2015 / 3:07 pm

Yes it was cold, but prepared much to the boys shame when we went again last week I took a Disney blanket to keep my legs warm ha ha.

7. 20th January 2015 / 8:25 pm

Reading your blog has got me wanting to go to the football and I never thought I would say that. lol!
    #countrykids