Amazing Air-miles are Taking us To Miami.

Whoop whoop we have booked our flights to Miami for next year, and they were an absolute bargain, here’s how we did it. Now anyone that knows me, knows I have a bit of an obsession with collecting British Airways Avios. These are air-miles that can be redeemed on British Airways flights, all over the world.  For me it is a no brainer, I just don’t get why everybody I know doesn’t collect them?
During the years we have collected them, we have booked some amazing flights and saved a fortune. But this year we have been saving for the big one, a trip to Orlando. The flights have gone up so much over the years. Yet we love Orlando, so decided to start saving our Avios towards our Miami flights to bring the cost down.

Here’s how it works; we have an American Express credit card with which every penny we spend we collect Air Miles, you also have the opportunity to build up companion vouchers. These are built up according to spend, I put all my shopping and petrol on my card, and when I pay it off I get points and my spend allocation builds up. Once you reach a certain spend level you get rewarded with a companion voucher. You can use up to 2 companion vouchers on a flight for a family of 4.

We also collect extra miles by shopping at Tesco; I convert all the Club Card points to Avios. This really helps me build my points quickly.
Once you have the required amount of points you can book flights and just pay the tax, you can also trade in your companion vouchers. So for example a flight in economy is 50,000 Avios plus tax of £366, but with a companion voucher you can get 2 flights for 50,000 Avios plus the tax of £733.
We have booked flights to Miami in peak holiday time for 100,000 Avios, 2 companion vouchers and £1,466. Had we just booked and paid for exactly the same flight it would have would have cost  £4006.00 a huge saving of £2540.00. I know, how amazing what a bargain.
The great thing is you can change your flight for a small fee. This is fantastic as we have only just saved enough air miles for economy flights, and wanted to get our flights booked as soon as they came out. We are now collecting air miles and hoping that if we can save enough miles before we go, and there are flights available, we can upgrade to premium economy or business class. How great is that?

Collecting Avios really does make long haul family holidays more achievable, and European flights a bargain. In our experience we have always found availability for the flights we wanted, it is just a case of being organised and booking early.

1. 14th January 2015 / 9:43 am

Wow I didn’t know anything about avios points…I will definitely look into this as we deliberately fill up at Tesco to gain the clubcard points. Thanks for sharing! #sharewithme

14th January 2015 / 10:10 am

Hi Jess, they are amazing, we have had many european business flights in the last couple of years too x

2. 14th January 2015 / 10:03 am

Long haul flights, in fact any flights are out for us with a family of 8, but I imagine all help is appreciated even for a small family to fly.

14th January 2015 / 10:09 am

Do you know Fiona the points really add up so I bet you could save enough airmiles for return flight to the south of France in a year easily, they build up very quickly x

3. 14th January 2015 / 9:37 pm

Brilliant and congrats on saving for orlando that’s amazing. We do the same especially with all our visiting back home but I think we need to use it more to max out the benefits. lol Great informative post hun hope you enjoy your trip! Thanks for linking up to Share With Me. Sorry if you had any trouble commenting on my site today as the host is being transferred there are a few glitches to fix. Apologies. #sharewithme

14th January 2015 / 10:01 pm

Thanks Jenny, and yes there are some amazing benefits if you are organised with them isn’t there? No I had no problems commenting today xx

4. 10th January 2017 / 4:55 pm

Did you have any problems booking a flight for Orlando and when in the year is the best time to book? I have almost enough points to take the family to Orlando but whenever I look, there are no flights available.

10th January 2017 / 8:25 pm

Gareth we booked our flights to Miami and drove down and there was lots of choice, not much out of Orlando international but the drive was fun and we got to spend time in Miami x