I just has to share my recipe for my adults only shepherds’ pie cooked with red wine. I tried this recipe a few years ago and have never looked back. It takes the good old shepherds pie into a new league.
I have always loved Shepherds Pie, for me, it’s a real autumn, winter comfort dish. Please forgive me as I have learnt that my potato photography skills are not great. So if there is such a course, as a potato photography course, I will track it down and get myself booked on.
1. You will need:
500g of lean mince beef
A cup on onions (I am so lazy and use frozen, but I just cant chop them, I find it to traumatic)
A cup of frozen pea’s
A tin of whole carrots, (trust me tinned work better)
4 Large Maris Piper Potatoes
A small bottle of red wine
3 tablespoon of beef gravy
1 tablespoon of skimmed milk
1 tablespoon of butter
Salt and pepper to season
Cheese to top the pie.
2. Boil the fluffy Maris piper potatoes until soft and mash with the butter and milk.
3. In the meantime fry the mince with the onions. And season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the gravy powder to a small amount of boiling water to dissolve, and then add the wine (No drinking!)
Then put the fried mince and onions, peas carrots and wine gravy into an over proof dish.
5. Top with the fluffy mash and put in the oven on 150 degrees for 30 Min’s.
6. Once ready grill for a few minutes until the top is crispy, add cheese and re grill to melt.
And there you have it delicious shepherds pie cooked with red wine gravy. Hope you like it.