Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

I have been a huge Harry Potter Fan Since the day I read The Philosophers Stone, I read all the books the day they were released and watched all the films, mostly on release day, and have the box set.

Yes I am a total Harry Potter geek. I just love it. We have visited Alnwick castle to visit where Harry learnt to fly the broomstick, and can’t wait to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios next year.

Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1
We tried to book the Studio Tour last year, but it was fully booked. Last week we finally got the chance to visit. And trust me it did not disappoint. We booked the premier inn in St. Albans the night before, it was only 20 minutes away and we wanted the boys to arrive fresh and raring to go rather than weary from a 3.5-hour journey.  As we booked the premier inn, in advance we paid just £30. And I must say, it was £30 very well spent. The reception staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly, the room was spotlessly clean and the Beefeater next door was great for breakfast and dinner.
Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

So; we were up early and arrived with time to spare to collect our tickets. The queues were minimal, I would definitely recommend going early, although you are given a time slot it seemed much busier when we left.

As soon as I saw the studios I felt so excited, I was like child. So much so, the boys were rolling their eyes at me in embarrassment. However as soon as they entered they all felt equally as excited. Firstly we were ushered into a large studio where we watched a video about the history behind Harry Potter. When the film ended we were transported, as if by magic, to the doors to the great hall, I nearly leapt out of my chair with excitement.

Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

We all stood there whilst the narrator chatted for a while, and then he did it, opened the doors. Wow, it was amazing just like on the film, it really was so magical.  We were allowed to spend quite some time in the great hall whilst a narrator told us lots of facts about the hall. It really was so spectacular.The hall was filled with memorabilia from the film, such as tables set for feasts and costumes from all the cast. It was the sort of space you could imagine holding a huge spectacular wedding.

Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

We then left the hall and went into a prop area, this was fantastic, I spent ages looking at each display, one of my favourites were the makeup stations, they still had little post it notes all over the mirrors and photos of the artists children. Desks were littered wigs, makeup in many shades, and pins and grips. It must be a make up artists dream to work on such an epic production. Something nearly all of my students aspire to.
Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1
The costumes were equally as spectacular, any fan of the films would be able to recognise costumes from the Deathly Hallows, Goblet of Fire and many others.
Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

We then progressed on to the Harry Potter sets,

There were areas everywhere, with props stacked and collected together, like Aladdin’s caves dotted about, and around these were the sets. I was great to see the portrait of the fat lady, followed by the Gryffindor dormitories and common room. These was so much to look at, you really could have spent hours in there. And the fantastic thing about the studio tour is there is no restriction on how long you spend there. As long as you are out by closing.

Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

The Burrows was filled with many interactive features, the Boys loved this. It felt so homely that you almost expected Mrs. Weasley to walk in.

Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

We turned a corner and there was Professor Snape’s Potions classroom, it was as spooky as it is in the film. I could see Joe’s eyes light up, he would have loved to get in there a mix some potions. And last but by no means least Dumbledore’s office, it really is something special, the effort and work that went into all the portraits of the sleeping headmasters, I wanted to put a memory in the pensive. It all felt so real.
Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1
Wow after reading this back, I really am a Harry Potter geek. I have so many pictures I have split my post into 4 parts, how could I possibly blog such an amazing place in 1 post. What a genius idea to turn the Studios into an exciting, spectacular tour. I am so glad they did. It felt like the best treat ever being able to visit and see the magic in person.
Harry Potter Studio Tour, Part 1

Share:

1. 7th June 2014 / 11:01 am

Thank you, yes it was fantastic. I loved every minute x

2. Julee Gray
    7th June 2014 / 2:51 pm

Hi Sarah, you managed to take better pictures than I did when I went, I was sidetracked by what I was looking at and forgot to take many…….lol. Good luck with the blogging, I’m new as well and have met some lovely people already. x

3. 7th June 2014 / 4:35 pm

Ah thanks Julee, good luck to you too, I love it there it was fab. I probably took too many photos x

4. Mummy M
    27th July 2014 / 3:45 pm

Looks like a perfect day out for harry potter fans. Ive never seen or read, so im afraid I don’t recognise any of the pictures.

5. 15th November 2014 / 10:39 am

I have to confess to being quite late to the Harry Potter party! I am just starting to read The Philosopher’s Stone to my six year old – he wants to see the film but I have insisted we read the book first then the next one and so on! He has mentioned Harry Potter world so I might put it on our list! Great pictures 🙂 #countrykids

16th November 2014 / 9:12 pm

I am totally with you here, I read all the books first, bought them all on the day they came out. What I loved was that they made the films fit the imagination. Better late than never.

6. vicki-elliebearbabi
    15th November 2014 / 12:08 pm

It really is a fantastic tour isnt it. Me and my sis in law took the day trip over from northern ireland it was a early start and alot of traveling but it was so worth it for two harry potter fans like us. I’d go back tomorrow if i could! 🙂 #countrykids

16th November 2014 / 9:10 pm

Same here Vicki, we are visiting Orlando next year I can’t wait x

7. 15th November 2014 / 2:48 pm

Wow, this looks like a super exciting day. My apprentice Amber went there recently and said it was amazing as well. I’m glad you finally made it. Thanks for linking up with Country Kids.

16th November 2014 / 9:09 pm

Thank you Fionna, I love it, it is definitely worth the track the Kids will love it x

8. 15th November 2014 / 3:43 pm

Me too! I am a massive HP geek and can’t wait till Monkey is big enough so I can start reading them to him at bedtime! We went about 2 years ago and I still want to go back. It’s amazing isn’t it. Your photos are brilliant. I tried the Butter Beer, which tbh, was a bit yuck to my disappointment. I think I was expecting Baileys! 🙂 #countrykids

16th November 2014 / 9:08 pm

Yes I wasn’t keen on Butter Beer either, I love it, can’t wait to go back again x

9. 15th November 2014 / 9:29 pm

Such amazing place! I lobe Harry Potter too. Hooked on the book and every film. This tour is so amazing and thank you for sharing your experience. #countrykids

16th November 2014 / 9:07 pm

Thank you Merlinda, Yes it is incredible isn’t it, I am such a Harry Potter geek, I just love it x